Sign in to follow this  

Need some help please

I went riding yesterday and had alot of overheating problems with my bike. It was blowing steam out of the overflow. I also noticed the oil looked awful thin through the sightglass. At our stops I would look at the glass and sometimes the oil would look low then 30 minutes later the oil filled the sight glass completly. The bike ran fine all day without any stange noises. I know something is not right though. Cant figure out why it is overheating so bad and the oil thing has got me worried. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. The bike is an 05 450R. Thanks again in advance for the info.

Were ya riding woods? mx? fast? slow? Did you fill the radiator to the top? if so it will surely spit it out, you need some space to expand.

Oil will look low while running. did ya check it after it cooled?

You can buy stickers that go on the cylinder that tell temp.

We were doing woods riding. Alot of hill climbs. The oil level would fluctuate throughout the day. One minute it was low looking, then I would check it again it would be at the top of the sight glass. With it in my garage now, it shows above the high mark. I know I didnt put that much oil in it before riding. My coolant level before riding was almost covering the fins, now I dont think there is much in the rads after I steamed most of it out.

have you flushed the system? cant hurt.

I did flush it when I first got the bike. ( close to 2 months ago)Also I put engine ice back in it. I have replaced the water pump parts when I first got it. Could it possibly be the rad cap? Im need to drain the oil to see if there is antifreeze in there. There is more oil in it before I went riding. According to the sight glass. I just hope it is not anything major. I am planning on putting a new piston and replacing the valves soon. If its more than that I may go on the dark side with a KTM. I dont want to , but I also dont want to be nickel and dimed to death between rides.

Any thing else I need to look at about these problems. I love the bike and want to fix it. Dont really mind spending money on it to a point. I got a great deal on the bike and that may be why I having these issues. Any other info will be appreciated.

I will be trying that. I was thinking about putting bigger rads on it and the Boysen water pump setup. I have not worked inside the motor of a 4 stroke, if I got a shop manual would I be able to rebuild the bike myself if needed?

Wether or not you'd be able to do the work yourself depends on your mechanical ability, no one knows that but you. Having said that, if you can replace the top end on your 4-fiddy then I wouldn't think it'd be a problem for you. I've got a Honda service manual that's worth it's weight in gold, I use it quite often.

The 450R isn't designed for the woods, it's just not. But, as you've mentioned putting bigger rads and a Boyesen impeller/cover may help keep things cooler - which may make it a little more woods friendly ? Obviously there are guys that ride the 450R in the woods without issues.

Before I ever spend $$ I'll start with the easiest/cheapest parts first, which would be your rad cap. I'd take it to a rad repair shop and have them test it, someone here should know the pressure it should open at. If you don't know and no one responds I'll take a look in my shop manual for you.

i would change cap all it takes is a hairline crack in rubber part of cap to not let it hold enough pressure.

Thanks so much for the help. I like to think I could do it. I think my ability is fit to do rebuild the motor but, if im wrong then im screwed. It has a 1.1 stamp on the cap, what should I try? Also who make the best manual for how to? Clyclmer or Honda. Thanks again for the help.