Sign in to follow this  

Speedo issue

After puting a new speedometer cable on my klx, I took it for a ride and noticed that my speedometer reads very irratic for example. IF I am going 35 mph my speedometer will read 30,35,33,29,37,36 within a few seconds and I am holding a steady speed. It only does it above 20 mph. Could it be the sender, or is my computer going bad?. Any body have any clues?

Thanks

check the routing of the cable,the square drive at both ends and make sure it's tight or possibly lubricate it.

it's possible the drive is damaged as well

unplug it from the speedo head and turn the wheel while watching for smooth rotation of the cable.

good call on the drive, I just pulled the wheel back off and and checked in drive and both of the little cogs that drive the speedo cable are cracked, they are still in place but cracked, it must have happend when the old cable got cought on my front tire. But why would it jump at speeds above 20 mph wouldnt it always jump?

Thanks again

on that note... can I put the digital spedo on my drz E.. to replace the odometer... using the same cable?

the vapor for instance comes with it's own magnetic speed pick up so it replaces the oem cable and drive.