Sign in to follow this  

I drowned/killed my bike! Now what?

I rode all day today on my 2008 CRF250R and at the end of the day, I decided to ride thru a puddle 8 inches deep and 30 feet long. Only the puddle was a 4 foot deep hole!!! Water got in everything and the kick start wont move. Did the piston get welded to the wall in there? Whats this gonna cost me to get fixed? I dont want to get raped by the guy at the cycle shop on the price of the parts labor. please help.

Chances are the cylinder filled with water. Possibly hydro-static shock. Pull the top end and have a look. It is pretty easy.

Probably hydro-locked pull the spark plug see if you can kick her over then. drain the oil leave the oil drain plug out over night then run at least two quarts of fresh oil through it. Before doing that I would pull the clutch and stator covers too. pretty simple stuff.

Thank you guys so much!!!! I just found this site 2 days ago and I Love it!! Peace and Love, Peace and Love!!!

You'll likely need to dry and re oil your air filter as well as flush out the carb.Try starting it first after doing the previously mentioned stuff, but don't be suprised if it will start and then die if you give it gas.If it won't run carefully disassemble the carb and blow out all the jets,circuits, and vent hoses with carb cleaner, using a manual helps here your first time.good luck

and drain all your oils and change em if water got in there youll need to do it a couple of times until your oil comes out a non creamy colour

Yep everything they said. I drowned out a 1980 Suzuki DS250 and my XR650R, same situation.

Drain and dry out your fuel tank to.

On the DS I ended up having to unplug all the wiring also so it could dry out.

ill fix it for you i live in nj too (atco) i did the same thing once and all you need to do is take it apart and clean and inspect. drain and flush all fluids and you should be good . also i am a certified honda tech. (dhy) and can ensure you it will be done right. Pm me if you want to chat thanks chris

my buddy did the same thing and it went into hyrdo lock which locks it up so u wont screw it up more, when we got it out we took the carb out then drain oiled and kept changing the oil untill it got clea but it runs perfect now

sorry my friend you are too late. when you submerge anything you need to drain the fluids, get all the water out and get that thing running asap. flush the motor after you get it running until the oil comes out clean. by now it is most likely too late and you'll have long term damage.

by now it is most likely too late and you'll have long term damage.

Little dramatic dont you think? It is not to late. Oil coats all the internal components of the engine so even if water gets in, it is going to rust out in a few days. The oil will provide some level of protection.

hyrdo lock which locks it up so u wont screw it up more

When water gets into the cylinder it "hydro locks" and doesnt move because water cannot be compressed, not so you dont screw it up more. It's not some magical sensor that goes off when water gets in there and locks the engine up to prevent damage.

what about the packing in the muffler? isnt that something he would have to change if it got soaked too?

When the water get in there and hydrolocks it can bend the rod also.

When it stops the motor and you're on the throttle more than likely there's serious damage.

I think you read twofiftyR's post wrong.

He was saying that is not what happens in response to a guy who said hydro locking is there to prevent damage.

Maybe I am a wuss, but I stay clear of puddles except for ones I know are just puddles. I see guys wading seat deep through rivers. Hydro static shock out on a trail miles from a car... no thanks.

I sometimes think people are not aware of real dangers of going through water, especially deep water. :)