Sign in to follow this  

Head bolts won't torque all the way

I have just started putting back together my 1994 dr125 after having bad rings went to tighten head bolts to 26ft lbs the outer bolts torqued and the inner ones just seem to be stretching and won't torque any ideas would be greatly helpful head is not warped.

are you sure that you got each bolt in its proper location?

I know the 96+ 650 head bolts are different lengths & need to go in the proper places & to make matters worse the manual has them mislabeled.

I know the 96+ 650 head bolts are different lengths & need to go in the proper places & to make matters worse the manual has them mislabeled.

You noticed that, too! I took me quite a while to figure out since I had never seen it mentioned before. I guess the 14 years since the 650 came out were not enough time to fix the mistake... :p

which obviously means put the bolts in the holes all seperately 1st, they should all be sticking out around the same, however far they stick out of the top is how much thread they are standing on and will use.

basically if they are spinning and you have done it wrong.... all i can say is try and make sure they are in right and give it another bash at torquing, otherwise its now going to have to go to an engineers for re-threading, or get the old tap and dye set out

I was doing my second base gasket repair last week when I noticed the Head bolts to be diffrent sizes. I must have lucked out on the first one and gotten them in the right holes. I checked the manual, tried it their way to find it wrong. After a little trial and error I figured out that the longer bolts go on the "Cam Side" of the motor with the longest one in the rear. After I was done I took apart an old '97 motor I had laying around to make sure.

You noticed that, too! I took me quite a while to figure out since I had never seen it mentioned before. I guess the 14 years since the 650 came out were not enough time to fix the mistake... :p