Sign in to follow this  

Building a Track

We have a good size property and I'd like to build a track for my son and some of his friends. Nothing too radical (he's only 7), but some basic whoops, tables, etc. My riding experience is mostly on a road racing track and a little bit of trail riding, so I really don't know much about an MX track. Is this something I can do myself? I have a tractor with a loader, if that helps. Are there any contractors who will do something like this (I'm in Maryland)?

We have a good size property and I'd like to build a track for my son and some of his friends. Nothing too radical (he's only 7), but some basic whoops, tables, etc. My riding experience is mostly on a road racing track and a little bit of trail riding, so I really don't know much about an MX track. Is this something I can do myself? I have a tractor with a loader, if that helps. Are there any contractors who will do something like this (I'm in Maryland)?

Just do it yourself. A landscape business wont know much better than you. Getting a company that can do it right and specializes in mx tracks is probably going to be a pretty penny. If you want something to drool over go to www.otcmx.com those guys know their stuff.

I've built a small track for my son. Started when he was on his pw50 and just keep adding things as he progresses in skills and bikes. Table tops, bermed corners, whoops etc. are pretty easy. I recently added a reverse ski jump without the little jump at the bottom. I am leaning towards making it more endurocross like so I have also added cement culverts as 'log crossings' for him to practice. Probably going to expand it a fair amount this year. Just keeping my eye on Craigslist to see what free materials I can drag home.

This site:

http://www.skidlidvideo.com/TrackBuilding/Medsker%20Racing%20College.htm

has some info on the correct angles to use etc. Be advised this takes a lot of dirt so you are either going to have to scrape up an area, buy dirt or find it for free.

I agree. Our backyard track started out as a trail through the woods for our ATV's and slowly got expanded. When my son got his first bike, I've added to it as he advances. I also built a track at my father-in-laws house for the whole family. It started out with two jumps (due to a hydraulic leak on the tractor) and has been slowly expanded. Start off with a small jump or two. Learn from my mistakes and make the them with a slight slope and not so steep. You can add jumps and make them larger as our son progresses.

Smiley Pete, I know a guy that can build you what you want. He is in PA and is interested in talking to you. Do you still need help?