Sign in to follow this  

brake bleeding problem

I put a new galfer SS brake line on my bike and tried bleeding it. got fluid all the way down the line and closed it off. pumped the brake lever for what seemed like forever with nothing. what am I doing wrong. I'd like to do it without buying the quick bleeders. just want to do it the old fashioned way. thanks

I'm not familiar with the galfer lines but brake bleeding isn't just pumping the brakes.

Are the lines pressurized? If you take the bleeder out, put your finger over the hole, and pump the pedal, do you get fluid spraying out? Is the master cylinder reservoir sealed or open? Are you mixing brake fluids?

How about some more details.

Best recommendation is to trouble shoot from the top down. Does the master shoot fluid? If so, does the fluid make it to the slave cylinder under pressure? If so, does it make it through the caliper to the bleeder? Does it have good pressure at the bleeder? Is there any air in the line? Is the line sealed well at both ends? Did you replace all the crush washers?

More detail please.

Im just going to give you basically what to do in case you are new to bleeding brakes.

Pump your brake pedal/lever for a little while you MUST hold it down while you have somebody loosen your bleeder, sometimes you even have to take it off if it is clogged, you should hear air come out. now, have your friend tighten the bleeder back down and then you can start pumping again. repeat until you get straight fluid. remember, dont let up without the bleeder being on tight. or else you fill your system full of air.

Unbolt the caliper. Blead normally until the caliper closes. Take a screw driver and push between the brake pads. With the brake line positioned as the highest point of the caliper push the pads until the caliper piston is in all the way. This will force the air back through the master cylinder. Repeat until no air boubles com through the line back to the master cylinder. This method is combersome but will give you perfect brakes.

Unbolt the caliper. Blead normally until the caliper closes. Take a screw driver and push between the brake pads. With the brake line positioned as the highest point of the caliper push the pads until the caliper piston is in all the way. This will force the air back through the master cylinder. Repeat until no air boubles com through the line back to the master cylinder. This method is combersome but will give you perfect brakes.

same idea... but a little easier.

Get ur hands on a syringe and some .25" flexible fuel line... litterally the same stuff that goes from ur gas tank to carb. maybe even a little smaller would work better because mine was still a little on the loose side. ANYWAY... put fuel line onto syringe and suck up a bunch of fluid. Now, do ur best nurse/doctor/heroin addict impression and get all the air out of the line and syringe. Place on the bleeder and open it up fully. Now SLOWLY force the fluid in the wrong way... it should start squirting out of the master cyclinder... if it won't go in at all there is something wrong, try opening the bleeder more, that should work. (reason i say should is I was just doing this and found out i had a bleeder that wasn't finished at the factory) Now, do this slowly. You can force it though pretty quick but this can cause two problems... any bubble that u didn't get out will turn into alot of tiny bubbles... not fun. Second, u go fast and u basically created a corrosive fluid (read the bottle... it is nasty stuff... disolved a pair of rubber gloves on me) squirt gun.... i was cleaning it off the ceiling of the basement when i forgot this. Hope this helps. Trust me when i say it's alot easier then the pump the lever open bleeder shut bleeder release lever repeat method... and i find works alot better.

hey i put in my new brake line and bled it til fluid came out. replaced both screws and crush washers and had the fluid flowing out the bottom. tightened up the bottom bleeder. and still cant get anything on the brake lever. i just want to know how to fix the problem without purchasing other stuff and brake bleeding the system

if its full and you got fluid coming out from the bleeder close the bleeder, take the cap off the resevoir sqeeze the lever and tie it back with a zip tie or something similar. you should see small air bubbles coming up. now walk away for awhile. the air in the system will eventually all come out thru the top.

When bleeding in the traditional method, you need to open and close the bleeder with each stroke of the brake lever. Pull lever, open bleeder, close bleeder, release lever. Repeat. A lot.

I find the "one man brake bleeder" to be handy. I got mine at the Harbor Freight for something like $2. It mostly helps you watch for air bubbles out the bleeder and contains some of the mess. Its not really all that necessary if you don't mind brake fluid everywhere.

Something else I like to do (when I feel like being messy and want to pump a lot of fluid through my lines) is to remove the bleeder completely and put the tip of my finger over the bleeder hole. Then just pump away with the brake lever. It should create a little suction on your finger tip when you release the brake and spray fluid out when you apply it. Just make sure the reservoir stays full, or you'll suck air into the lines and defeat the purpose. This will use a lot of fluid and will still need a little bleeding once you reinstall the bleeder, but it's pretty quick, and free.