Sign in to follow this  

XRL carb jetting, DJ, Daves or both???

I know, I know.....but here it is.

I installed a DJ kit on my '08 before learning of daves mods. Can a combo of both be done? specificly drilling the slide? would that help or hurt things?

Further, Ive removed the smog junk, snorkle, added K&N, 160main jet with kit. bike has stock exhaust.

I have not ridden an XRL with daves mods so I have nothing to compare it to. the bike responds better than stock for sure but doesn't seem to have the "wheelie syndrome" of daves modded bikes. If a combo of both carb mods are not recommended should I scrap the DJ kit and go with daves mods?

thanks for the help

WM

I know, I know.....but here it is.

I installed a DJ kit on my '08 before learning of daves mods. Can a combo of both be done? specificly drilling the slide? would that help or hurt things?

Further, Ive removed the smog junk, snorkle, added K&N, 160main jet with kit. bike has stock exhaust.

I have not ridden an XRL with daves mods so I have nothing to compare it to. the bike responds better than stock for sure but doesn't seem to have the "wheelie syndrome" of daves modded bikes. If a combo of both carb mods are not recommended should I scrap the DJ kit and go with daves mods?

thanks for the help

WM

First off, welcome to TT brother!

Secondly, I did a combination of a DynoJet kit and Daves mods when I still had the stock carb. Drilled vac. slide holes, the whole works.

It worked well.

same here did both,and it does great. but I have an fmf q2,and jetted to 165/58. ride on bro, and welcome to TT.

I used the Dynojet spring and the jets I got from Jets'r'us, and used the stock needle with a .025 washer.:p

u can mix 'n match...but many(myself included before i swapped carbs) prefered the stock needle shimmed(washer) BUT u shud install a 55 pilot even w/ the DJ stuff :moon:

the next biggest change u can do is drop a tooth on the front sprocket to a 14T IF ur not doing a bunch of >65mph commuting/slab riding :p

:ride:

cool, thanks for the input all. :p

I did drop to a 14t front (it only took one dirt ride to figure that out). that helps for sure.

I think I'll do both for now, if I dont like it I can always switch back. I gotta say Ive been lurking here for a while and compared to ADV rider this place is great. I sure like all the positive responses, havent seen a lot of hacking on folks around here. good stuff :ride:

Willie,

I started the same way you did, so I will give ya my experiences. The DJ kit is a good kit, it does have one big drawback and that is it uses the stock pilot jet. I found here in NY where we have ethanol that I could not get the jetting correct with the stock 50 pilot jet. I then combined the DJ kit with a 55 pilot and it was better, still though there was a lag at about 1/3 throttle. I love the idea of the adjustable needle but had a heck of a time getting it where I wanted it. Went from lean on the bottom to rich in the needle and back again. I finally converted to Dave's mods and scrapped the DJ kit completely. Much better throttle response throughout the range, all in all better though my mileage did go down slightly. The thing is if you have gas without alcohol feel free to use the DJ and you will probably have good luck with it. If you have alcohol I would recommend to scrap the DJ and go with the mods, that 10% alcohol really leans out the motor and the mods will work better in that case. Good luck and have fun playin with it!:p