Sign in to follow this  

45 leak jet to help with bog

is it true that a 45 leak jet will help with bog, i will not feel like doing this in a month because i will be able to ride then so its now or next time this year, so i need an answer....is it worth the hassle ( i am 1,500ft elevation and ride in 50-80 degree weather)

and when checking the oil are you supposed to screw in the dip stick, or just put it in then pull it out, have just kinda been winging it the last 3 years lol, i put in 700ccs (recomened 690) and noticed it was a bit short, twised it in so it got me wondering

There are many conditions that you have to take into consideration and apply when you are jetting your bike. Jet it for the conditions and you will get rid of the bog.

Don't screw the dipstick in.

Search under my user name - I put up a post on one way to deal with the bogs. It has everything to do with jetting and the AP pump timing. I also reccomend you put on an R&D power pump adjustable leak jet. Non adjustable leak jets are a pain to deal with.

I put a 42 in. Starts easier and the bog is greatly reduced. Still there but really really really rarely. I used to bog in corners, I used to dread it, now that almost never happens, in fact I am not sure it has happened since the swap.

On my 07 I also went to the NKUS needle and 172 main before the BBK but I am 1,500 feet up in AZ. Those jetting changes helped and along with the air screen removed results are quite noticeable.

NKUS, 42 leak (down numerically is richer) and a NKUS needle worked well with teh air screen removed or in my case the big mouth which does nothing but drain your wallet better than just removing the backfire screen.

I meant to ask, what exactly is an 18 year old doing with a Boston Album cover Avatar? Either you play guitar and like really good classic rock or you are in your late 30's not 18.

I put a 45 in. Starts easier and the bog is greatly reduced. Still there but really really really rarely. I used to bog in corners, I used to dread it, now that almost never happens, in fact I am not sure it has happened since the swap.

On my 07 I also went to the NKUS needle and 172 main before the BBK but I am 1,500 feet up in AZ. Those jetting changes helped and along with the air screen removed results are quite noticeable.

NKUS, 45 leak (down numerically is richer) and a NKUS needle worked well with teh air screen removed or in my case the big mouth which does nothing but drain your wallet better than just removing the backfire screen.

I meant to ask, what exactly is an 18 year old doing with a Boston Album cover Avatar? Either you play guitar and like really good classic rock or you are in your late 30's not 18.

great, i am at 1,500ft elevation also. idk about the main jet, the bike semms to run like a top in the summer months but who knows, do you know what stock is? for 06...i dont know what NKUS means, something with which clip mabey? i also have the air screen removed so bacicly what ever you tell me should be the same on my bike being at the same elevation and all. i dont really wanna dig into the carb for a slight change, i have never jetted before but i have heard it is easy i am mechanicly (sp) minded so i should not have a prob i think. as for the avatar i listen to pretty much everything besides country, boston was just a random band that i picked to be my avatar, i like "feelin satisfyed" and "rock and roll band" by them. i dont play guitar and am actually 18

and with the oil i measured out 700ccs and put it in and it was way short....what the hell honda, get the damn manual right, i am gonna try 720 next time and see if i can get er spot on :p

Typo above, stock leak jet is 45. I went to a 42. 06/07 had the same leak jet. Smaller number is richer. The jet says 65 or 65 on it so you sometimes see people calling it a 65 leak jet.

NKUS is a replacement needle. It is a bit leaner 1/4-3/4 throttle.

Needle drops in from the top and is stupid easy, the biggest problem is getting to it, and the leak jet is in the bowl itself. Both are pretty easy to do.

Try the 170/172 main, NKUS needle clip in hte middle and 42 leak. The manual shows how to do it. You'll like it.

45 is stock, I went to a 42. Smaller number is richer on leak jet. why I do not know. You'll need to do the same. The jets are marked 65 and 68. Odd I know.

stock leak jet on a 06 is 70

They don't even make a 42 leak

use a 40 or 45 leak.

if your still having bog problems raise your float level about 2mm

ap mod did nothing on either of my 06's

• Like 1

Ohh yeah thank ood catch! In 07 the stock was 68 also, your right. I am thinking slow jet, it was 42.

Got The slow and leak mixed. The smaller numerical leak jet fixed the bog.

I went to a Leak jet 65 from the 68 stock, or so the number on the jets say. Ordering it was like 40 or 45. Look at it go down one size, which is richer. Easy enough.

The slow jet did nothing when I changed it really.

Slow jet works like regular jets the leak is the odd one that is richer the smaller the number.

Is it me or was the 2 stroke easier?

I'll shut up now. :p

The A/P mod won't rectify the bog if the leak jet is too big. I'm telling you, the adjustable leak jet is the only way to go. No more hassles with the A/P issues and farting around with the leak jets. I understand that money doesn't grow on trees, but think of the time screwing around trying to get it right. $20-30 dollars spent at the local track for practice with your bike ripped apart for better than half the day and only little improvement. Unless you have unlimited time and a track in your backyard, do yourself a favor!

• Like 1

god i hate carbs with all of their jets and all, thank god my next bike is gonna be fuel injected :p i did the AP mod but i dident shave the rivit some people said no to shaving the rivit and some said yes, i just ended up not doing it. i dont know if its even worth it, in the summer it dosent bog much anyway. i would send it off to TM or ZT but its just too much $ for my small problem

Just go down one size on the leak jet. You'll be surprised how much that does. It is the little set screw looking thing in the corner of the bowl. :p

• Like 1

so you dont have to remove the bowl? and tell me the size because i dont know what down a size is, you guys have got me confused lol

Yes you have to remove the bowl. Pull it look at the number then go down one size from what you have. Here is the list and part numbers, cost $5.50 or so each:

For the 06 these are the parts.

JET, LEAK (#40) 99108-KRN-0400

JET, LEAK (#45) 99108-KRN-0450

JET, LEAK (#50) 99108-KRN-0500

JET, LEAK (#55) 99108-MEB-0550

For 07 here are the part numbers

JET, LEAK (#70) 99108-KRN-0700

JET, LEAK (#75) 99108-KRN-0750

JET, LEAK (#80) 99108-KRN-0800

JET, LEAK (#65) 99108-KSC-0650

JET, LEAK (#60) 99108-KSE-0600

thanks for all the help :p i will go to the dealer so see if they have any. according to MKR stock is 70 so i will have to go down more than one sizes