RFS 450 lower oil screen plug removal

I managed to strip the 8mm female hex plug that secures the lower oil screen (accessed from the bottom of the engine) on my 05 MXC 450. Any ideas on to proceed? I've thought about either a fat easy-out or drilling a deeper hole and using a smaller easy-out. Either way, I think I should apply some heat and/ or since the socket is stripped in the removal direction I could still maybe impact and slightly tighten before attempting removal.?

Have you stripped the threads when removing the plug or merely rounded out the Allen key head so that you can't get the plug out?

If the latter, I had a friend TiG (HeliArc) weld a nut to the end of an 8mm Allen Key & then weld the Allen Key to the head of the plug. Came straight out, the heat from the welding expanded the cases a little, freeing it off slightly. Previous owner had overtightened the plug, rounded it out but not stripped the threads.

MiG welding will work, I could have done this myself but there's less chance of weld splatter with TiG.

if you can you can get the next larger size standard allen, not metric, in a 3/8 drive socket/allen and drive it into the allen hole. Super tight fit this way, you may have to slightly grind it down closer to get it to fit. Also the hammering releases the tension on the threads. You are supposed to whack it with a hammer first before removing it to release the tension. Did you do that?

• 12 years later...
On 3/10/2009 at 9:57 PM, tmf450 said:

To Possu and others,

Thanks for all the advise. A large easy-out and some heat did the trick. Does the 09 plug fit the RFS hole?

bump - anyone know this ^^ ?   My plug is slowly rounding out and i'm curious which i should buy, the '09 plug, or the slavens one.