Sign in to follow this  

Watkins doing to much?

I was at Watkins this Sunday, and I cant say that I am real wild about the changes. Right when I get comfortable with the track, they go and change it. I really feel like they are doing to much to fast.

And the most recent additions are the worst. The gal at the shack said they messed up the landing of one of the new jumps, and warned that everyone should roll it until it gets fixed. That meant that you couldnt really get a good pace/rythm going.

I feel like they should spend less time making changes, and more time keeping the track in primo condition. A few of the older tables are developing bumps and pits in the take offs and landings. Even the two doubles are getting pretty beat up. It would be great if they gave more attention to the existing terrain.

Am I alone?

I honestly have not been out there for about a year or more but yesterday it was fun for me. There were some holes in the track but nothing worse than the other tracks that I ride. It seems that the dirt there and at IMI takes a beating really quick due to traffic and the sandy base.

What jump was she talking about? I didn't have any real issues with any of the jumps out there. Other than getting slowed down for the turn that is right after the small double on the north end.

The three tables in front of the bleachers were a little strange and had some rhythm issues but they were not hard to figure out. It would be sweet if they set up a better lip on the back side of the 2nd one and you could step accost them from the right or even jump from the 1st table to the top of the second on the left side and then step to the 3rd one.

Besides the SRAC race a couple weeks ago, Yesterday was the first time we have been there since before Al died. I actually thought is was pretty good considering the traffic. I like the step-ups compared to the do or die jumps they had years ago. Yea, you may case it, but at least you can ride it out if you blow it. It was nice not seeing a chopper ride for anyone.

huh. Go figure.

I have been there almost every weekend for the past 3 months...and yesterday was the worst it has been.

Or I am turning into a whiny bitch.

Damn.

In other news, picture of my bud doin the camel jump.

Sequence_01.jpg

huh. Go figure.

I have been there almost every weekend for the past 3 months...and yesterday was the worst it has been.

Or I am turning into a whiny bitch.

Damn.

In other news, picture of my bud doin the camel jump.

Sequence_01.jpg

Looks like he needed another 10 feet. Either way :p That's a big one.

I was out there yesterday and Im not a fan of the new section either, it just seems to mess up the whole flow of the track. And those three table/wanna be doubles up front, have no rhythm to them what so ever. Yah you can make it throw them cleanly but no matter what you do its not smooth, specially if you go step on- step off.

I was out there yesterday and Im not a fan of the new section either, it just seems to mess up the whole flow of the track. And those three table/wanna be doubles up front, have no rhythm to them what so ever. Yah you can make it throw them cleanly but no matter what you do its not smooth, specially if you go step on- step off.

What section is the "New Section"?

I'm assuming the 2 doubles u turn and table after Big Al. All the rest of the track was the same 2 weeks ago. In reality, Those jumps are not new, they were taken out long ago, (2 years?) and are actually older than a lot of the track as it sits now.

I'm assuming the 2 doubles u turn and table after Big Al. All the rest of the track was the same 2 weeks ago. In reality, Those jumps are not new, they were taken out long ago, (2 years?) and are actually older than a lot of the track as it sits now.

Ok I didn't know that they took those out before. You are right that step up after big al is probably three years old i would guess. The double right after it used to be right after the 1st 90 degrees in the middle 180 degree turn, and that table after the 180 is old as well.

this must have been the old layout.

http://s405.photobucket.com/albums/pp133/motosicko/?action=view&current=Movie.flv

Ok I didn't know that they took those out before. You are right that step up after big al is probably three years old i would guess. The double right after it used to be right after the 1st 90 degrees in the middle 180 degree turn, and that table after the 180 is old as well.

http://s405.photobucket.com/albums/pp133/motosicko/?action=view&current=Movie.flv

Ahhhh, that the layout I liked!

So when they added that crooked table thing, small double into hairpin, and 2nd odd table....that sorta ruined the flow for me.

But, I know Watkins will polish things up, and ill get used to the new layout soon enough.

At least just in time for the next change. :p

Your right that "new" section was basically there for years. I didnt mind it, actually I think they should leave it, that "double" after big AL isnt really a double or a step up, it is in between but the two little "bumps" after are interesting and then about 180 degree turn to the left makes it interesting.

It will certianly make you slow down a bit and adds a bit of guess work on how to negotiate that section.

again no big deal, it is a fast track anyway so I dont see anything wrong with a couple spots that slow it down.

Before this change I thought the entire track was very fast and didnt have enough skill sections, still doesnt really.

Honestly it would be kinda interesting for folks to ride it then just before a race change a few things, I like the element of surprise, like off road, learn to anticipate and react. You can practice to do anything that never changes.

I didn't mind it sunday, that small double that they messed up the landing almost killed me, shot the turn and such, but it was fun none the less. I think the Britts race coming up has alot to do with the changes - the races are pretty close and I belive the Britts want to run a "different" track each race - hence going to Brush as well.

I love those 3 tables in the front - i think they have great rythm if you hit it right, and I love the big step up before big al now that i ot the balls to do it - just need to work on that camel back.