Sign in to follow this  

Milky oil on my filler cap

I have an 03 WR. Doing an oil change last night I noticed the oil on the filler cap was milky white. The oil drained out of the frame was not, nor was the oil filter side and only the very last few mills (maybe 50mills) out of the sump was streaked white. Should I worry? Coolant levels are fine and clear.

You have a coolant leak sorry :p Was going to say maybe condensation from temp change if you are in the US then saw your stats.

MM

If your coolant levels have not changed then it could be the oil you are using. With standard oil I would get a white film when changing it. I switched to a full synthetic and have not seen it since.

I now run Rotella T 5w-40 full synthetic

Also check the stator cover where the wire comes out. If the wires are showing, its leaking some. Sometimes that will leak and let moisture in. Just take some silicone and seal it up.

Never thought of that!!! But I'd still be keeping and eye on the coolant it doesn't takke much to cause this issue.

How long since you last changed oil? Or, have you driven thru deep water?

Or another idea, where do you store the bike? IF the bike is stored in a location with high humidity and greatly changing temperatures, the moist air can condense inside the engine. Over a period of many temperature changes, the condensed water vapor can amount to a fairly measureable quantity.

over the years I've had this happen as well as milky oil come out of cases. In any case if its just on the cap, its possible the motor just ran hoy briefly and steam rises easier than oil towards any cap; contaminating residue on cap. If oil is fine, dont loose any sleep over it.

How long since you last changed oil? Or, have you driven thru deep water?

Or another idea, where do you store the bike? IF the bike is stored in a location with high humidity and greatly changing temperatures, the moist air can condense inside the engine. Over a period of many temperature changes, the condensed water vapor can amount to a fairly measureable quantity.

Its been 2 months since last ride and about 300kms on that oil. Last ride I went through some very deep water but stall.

over the years I've had this happen as well as milky oil come out of cases. In any case if its just on the cap, its possible the motor just ran hoy briefly and steam rises easier than oil towards any cap; contaminating residue on cap. If oil is fine, dont loose any sleep over it.

Thanks. I've change the oil and all seems ok now. It was only on the cap and very last mouthful as I drained it.