Sign in to follow this  

Rear suspension reservoir leakage?

Today before I changed my oil I ran the bike for a couple of minutes to get the oil moving. While Im sitting on the bike and its warming up my header starts to smoke as something is dripping on it. I dont think much of it at first until it doesnt stop after sometime. I look down and there is liquid dripping from my rear suspension reservoir onto my pipe. I feel the liquid and it feels oily so now I know its not water. I felt the bottom cap to make sure it was on tight and it was. It says on the reservoir that it is gas only so I dont know whats up. Am I just being paranoid or do I have a serious problem?

you have a blown shock seal get it relpaired ASAP you could cause SERIOUS damage to your shock .

you have a ruptured/leaking bladder. you'll have to send it to a suspension shop to have it replaced unless your into doing your own shock servicing. I would suggest getting your whole suspension done at that time, possibly a revalve also.

damn it. this is not what I wanted to here. haha. how big of a job is this? do I have any chance of doing it myself or should I just bring it in and let the mechanics do it? anyone have a price idea on this?

damn it. this is not what I wanted to here. haha. how big of a job is this? do I have any chance of doing it myself or should I just bring it in and let the mechanics do it? anyone have a price idea on this?

To do it right, the shock has to be drained, pulled apart, cleaned, refilled and bled. Then the reservoir has to be recharged. If you sent it to a local suspension shop you could get the shock serviced for under $100.

don't be fooled, the learning curve on bleeding a shock is rather steep. Go sort through the suspension forum and see how much shock bleeding is being discussed by guys that do this every day. They still are looking for a better way because it is tough to get all the air out. If you don't, your shock will suck azz.