Sign in to follow this  

Suspension Woes - XR600R, new too me

Hey all. I'm not new to bikes, or to xr's, but I just picked up a 'new' one for a great deal. It's been ridden to death over the years, though the motor was just redone and purrs like a kitten. I already dropped a chunk of change on new parts and am getting them installed - have a couple *ahem* issues - with the suspension.

The PO was a bit of a meathead and caused this bike a lot of unneeded trauma. Nearly every bolt on the bike was either finger loose or torqued to the hills. He also neglected regular maintenance outside of oil changes. But anyway.....

First ride:

3242139700_f010a56372_b.jpg

Issue 1 - Rear Shock: There was play in the rear shock lower bearing, so I pulled out the linkage today to replace with new. What I found was the PO had stripped the threads in the bottom of the shock where the bolt goes through the linkage - and instead of repairing it or running a longer bolt through and putting a nut on it he just let it be and rode around with the bolt flopping inside. It turns out the play it had wasn't actually from a bad bearing but from the shock bolt holes becoming slightly oval. --- I'm going to be keeping my eyes open for another used shock to replace this one, are there any other shocks you guys like to fit in? For an upgrade or otherwise? For the time being I'm going to run it as is with a lengthened bolt and nut, but I'll be watching it very closely.

[sorry, no pic of the shock]

Issue 2 - The Forks: The chrome on the fork legs is wearing off on the backsides right at the beginning of the stroke. Picture below shows size, the other leg is a little worse. One of the axle clamp bolts is stripped (no biggie). The bottom of the fork legs are bashed up pretty good - and the drain bolts just spin and spin and spin...... they should come out right? Is there something inside the fork I need to hold? This isn't usually the case. All in all I think the forks are pretty well worn. They also have 4-5" pvc spacers on the springs, which seems a bit extreme to me - but I'm not fork setup expert. My only real question is about the bottom bolt for disassembly - should it come right out or is there something internal I have to clamp?

3339836227_af324663dc_b.jpg

I'll probably swap on some USD forks before I replace the stockers.

Cheers!

For the shock, the hole can be TIG welded up and retapped. Those fork tubes look kicked to me. It's unfortunate that not all XR owners have TT at their disposal to help with bike problems and maintenance. If they did, the XR would would be a happier place.

I know when i took my forks apart i had to make sure that the rod in the fork didn't spin so i could take out the bolt or else it would spin all day. It took me about half an hour and many cuss words to figure it out!!

I don't know if it's the same for every forks but thats what i had to do Hope this helps

Man,

I have a fresh Ohlins just rebuilt from Kyle's racing I may be able to let go of. I also have a fresh stock shock that has a gold valve installed with new bushing, seals and fluid. Let me look at what I have.... Pm if interested.

I may have a set of front forks that have a gold valve and are in decent shape. I have to ask my buddy if he still wants them...

Good luck with the bike, it looks cool anyway!!!

To get the bottom bolt out what you need is a piece of wooden dowel about 4 foot long. and say a half inch wide or maybe a bit wider You then sharpen one end up so it forms a longish tapering point.Drain the oil, take the cap and all the springs etc out of the forks and insert your long wooden stick down into the forks and into the tube that the bolt on the end is attached to..Give the stick a couple of lightish taps with a Hammer so it goes into the metal tube thus locking it and thus enabling you to hold the stick while you undo the bottom bolt..Same procedure to put the forks back together..The bolt shouldn't be overly tight as its immersed in oil so should come out relatively easily.. The two small 10mm headed bolts at the bottom back of the Forks are the drain bolts (one per leg)..The spinning one holds everything together..Once you have the troublesome bolt out what you do is wrench the dust caps off each Fork leg with probably a skinnyish bladed screwdriver, then remove the circlip thats under it and is holding the actual seal in. When the circlips out you put the bottom end of the Fork leg in say a vice with a bit of shielding (rags/wood) so it doesn't get damaged,, then pull up and down forcefully on the other end and the seal will pop and the two bits will separate..Putting it all back together is another story for another day..