Sign in to follow this  

More tickets by NJ WILDLIFE COP

Got seven of us loading bikes on the trailers (private property). Trucks were parked at friends house. Cop said in NJ you are not allowed to ride a dirtbike or ATV on even private property without registration and insurance. I'm going to court this time. This guy is like a bad dream.

Has he got you before?

What does the law actually state about riding on private property ?

All of you should appear in court and have the judge explain that to all of you in front of the officer that cited you. Seems ridiculous to me but this is the world we live in now.

On private land, what jurisdiction does he have?

I would go to your local law library and look it up....I bet if you take him to court, he will soon be backing down.

As a quick searc via google, shows he is the one that has no leg to stand on.

Law libraries are great places, they also have copiers, so you can get a copy of the page(s) that show the pertinant law for the offence.

take that to court with you, in case the judge is unsure what the law is, you can hand it to them.

I did that after a jerk off wrote me a ticket for snowmobiling illegally he said a few years back.

I proved him wrong in court, and then got to listen to the judge tear a strip off the useless jerk of a cop.

We were riding along the side of the road in a ditch, and when we crossed a home owners driveway, the cop wrote us a ticket saying its illegal to croos a driveway on a sled.

I pulled up all the pertinant law on it, and made photocopies, and brought it with me to court.

I was right, the cop was wrong.

Nothing sweeter than not just having your ticket and fine tossed out, but then the judge going off on a cop for being a dickhead.:p

I wouldn't even know how to find a law library. And if I did, what book do you start looking in? What do you actually look for?

But I have to say, there are so many ticket defense lawyers who only seem to know a few basic things and judging by how they speak to you, it seems they don't seem eager to learn a few new tricks. It's not even a queastion of them avoiding telling you to much so you end up not needing them, you can just tell they're idiots.

If you can spare the time and not lose your mind doing so, I'd say try the library. There's more at stake for you than an unmotivated half-ass lawyer wannabe so you're bound to do a better job.

4 Minutes and Google would give him the ammo needed to fight the ticket. note the part I bolded and underlined below.

That's straight from

http://www.nj.gov/mvc/Vehicle/Motorcycles.htm

A motorcycle is any vehicle (including motor bikes, bicycles and tricycles) with attached motors.

All certified motorcycles must be titled and registered in New Jersey and meet the minimum safety standards* as outlined by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).

To title or register your motorcycle, visit an MVC Agency with proof of insurance, title and registration fee payment and one of the following:

Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MSO or MCO)

New Jersey or out-of-state title

Registration and a notarized bill-of-sale from the previous owner with vehicle description and sale price (motorcycles from non-titled states only)

If the manufacturer does not appear on the approved list, you must also provide:

A color photo of the NHTSA label

A color photo of the EPA Noise Emissions label**

A color photo of the EPA Exhaust Emissions label**

A color photo of the side of the motorcycle

Proof of insurance and pay the title and registration fee

If your motorcycle manufacturer is not included on the approved list [pdf], the dealer must contact MVC to apply for approval to license and register motorcycles in New Jersey .

If your motorcycle doesn't meet the minimum federal safety standards, you must contact the dealer or manufacturer.

NOTE: Dirt bikes can only be used on private property and cannot be titled or registered. Insurance is optional.

Looks like you found it.:p

However, the OP didn't state wether he was solely ticketed for no registration and insurance or if he got busted for having ridden, without permission, on someone's private property as well.

Chances are the ticketing officer didn't actually speak to the property owner to know anything nor did he actually catch anyone in the act of riding, with or without license and resistration. Seems he only caught the OP and his friends in the act of loading. The fact that they might have had all their gear on, even dirty, only means he is able to assume that something took place. He'd be right, but he didn't witness anything.

Got seven of us loading bikes on the trailers (private property). Trucks were parked at friends house. Cop said in NJ you are not allowed to ride a dirtbike or ATV on even private property without registration and insurance. I'm going to court this time. This guy is like a bad dream.

Good luck with that - I hope you win. Even though "in NJ you are not allowed to ride a dirtbike or ATV on even private property without registration and insurance", that doesn't have anything to do with loading bikes onto a trailer. If he didn't catch you actually riding, he's got nothing.

Born n' raised in Willingboro, NJ. Didn't let the door hit me in the ass when I left the state for good at 18 y/o.

JayC

I seem to recall being able to rent-a-quad to ride on certain parts of the beach in Wildwood. Nothing private about that property. Been a while since my last visit.

jersey sux

yep.

i have a shop in Port Monmouth and it is a PITA dealing with the State and it's appointees.

I had some friends riding on a frozen pond here in Ontario a few weeks back upon loading the bikes the local law enforcement hassled them and tried to tell them it was against the law to ride a motorcyle on a boating waterway ???

*** ?? who wrote that law ? When pressed there were no tickets handed out .

Good luck in court with that hope you arm your self with the info you need to win. :p

WOW, which one of the WMA were you around.. we ride the Greenwood area and have never seen any. We live around the Assunpink management area and teh ranger lives on the property. This guy has seen tracks and gave a homeowner a ticket becuase of the vicinity of the tracks to his house eeek