Sign in to follow this  

Too much play in the cam on my TTR-90?

I bought a slightly-used 2005 TTR-90 last summer in great shape and it ran great for several months. Very mild use by my daughter who is new to riding. Then one day about 2 months ago I went to kick start it and it made a funny "tinking" sound like some sort of metal-on-metal contact inside the engine. At the same time, I felt like it had lost all compression. After kicking it over twice, the "tinking" sound disappeared and it kicks over freely but feels like it has no compression. So I tore the engine down, but forgot to check the timing before I tore it down (thinking that it could have skipped a tooth and thrown the timing off). The cylinder and piston look great, with the head off the piston moves freely up and down the cylinder just like it should. I took off the left crankcase cover and looked inside; it all looks fine. So I put it all back together tonight with new gaskets and re-timed it. Still the same. Here's the strange part. With the head out of the bike, I can turn the camshaft about 1/4 turn before it is stopped by contact with the valves on either side. 1/4 turn seems like quite a lot to me, but I have nothing to compare it to. Is this the normal amount of play in the camshaft? I'm wondering if somehow the camshaft is broken?