Sign in to follow this  

Steering Dampner Comparison.

I'd like to get a Steering Dampner. Does anyone have any suggestions? I was going to buy the Scotts w/ a sub mount kit. But after the sub mount kit and brackets it becomes close to $550. I am leaning tward the new Ohlins SD 2.0, but would love to hear any input or experience with this device.

I've had the Scott's for 7 years now.. I do an oil change every year and that is it. I've riden bikes with GPR and WER dampers and I don't really like them. Here is why I like my Scotts damper.

1) it has adjustable HS and LS circuits (I pretty much run the LS at zero)

2) it has adjustable sweep angle (I run it at the least amount of sweep)

3) it has no damping return to center (unlike the WER and GPR)

4) it is the ohlins first generation damper just with a different name.

I personally don't like dampers for tight conditions but we have so many rocks/roots around here it is a must. By removing the LS and narrowing the sweep I pretty much have it setup to save my bacon with un expected HS side hit to the front wheel, other wise it acts like a non dampered bike.

I have the submount and some tall bars which is perfect to me since I'm 6'4".

just my 2cents.

I wrote the first question because I needed to know if the Ohlins would fit my bike (thanks for the photo confirmation). After posting I thought it would be nice to query people to see if anyone had any experience with the Ohlins system. I know Ohlins designed the Scotts system and it has been around for a long time, but there are very few people around here that have it. And I didn't think enough people would review a 'technical question' for a sufficient comparison, so I started a new thread.

Do you have a Steering Dampner? If so what kind? What do you think?

I love my GPR V1 and my V4 I will ride with nothing other then GPR. There service is way better then Scotts.

I love my GPR V1 and my V4 I will ride with nothing other then GPR. There service is way better then Scotts.

Why do you love them so much? Is it just customer service or something specific about the device?

Why do you love them so much? Is it just customer service or something specific about the device?

The service is the best for one, I like the look and the way they perform over a Scotts. I actually like the resistance both ways unlike the Scotts, and it is cheaper. Its also easier to use with only one knob compared to 3.

The service is the best for one, I like the look and the way they perform over a Scotts. I actually like the resistance both ways unlike the Scotts, and it is cheaper. Its also easier to use with only one knob compared to 3.

Thanks for your input! I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience.

I've had the Scott's for 7 years now.. I do an oil change every year and that is it. I've riden bikes with GPR and WER dampers and I don't really like them. Here is why I like my Scotts damper.

1) it has adjustable HS and LS circuits (I pretty much run the LS at zero)

2) it has adjustable sweep angle (I run it at the least amount of sweep)

3) it has no damping return to center (unlike the WER and GPR)

4) it is the ohlins first generation damper just with a different name.

I personally don't like dampers for tight conditions but we have so many rocks/roots around here it is a must. By removing the LS and narrowing the sweep I pretty much have it setup to save my bacon with un expected HS side hit to the front wheel, other wise it acts like a non dampered bike.

I have the submount and some tall bars which is perfect to me since I'm 6'4".

just my 2cents.

I've had a Scotts and now a WER. The Scotts was nice but the weight up high and raising the bars sucked, I'm 5'7", and it was expensive. I now run a WER. It does NOT dampen back to center. It sits low on the fender and does exactly what I need, absorb the big hits at moderate speed and prevent the high speed scary grip yankers, otherwise I can't feel it's there. Oh, and it was much cheaper (bought and rebuilt a used one) and didn't raise my bars.

I've had a Scotts and now a WER. The Scotts was nice but the weight up high and raising the bars sucked, I'm 5'7", and it was expensive. I now run a WER. It does NOT dampen back to center. It sits low on the fender and does exactly what I need, absorb the big hits at moderate speed and prevent the high speed scary grip yankers, otherwise I can't feel it's there. Oh, and it was much cheaper (bought and rebuilt a used one) and didn't raise my bars.

Thanks for the info. How about a Pic?