Sign in to follow this  

Are my piston rings blown? or is it worse?

Hello to all, got a problem with my 96 KDX220 just competed in enduro at the weekend and when riding it home afterwards i noticed that the power became a bit sloppy and it felt like the engine was strugling and about ready to stall so i pulled over and the engine died. I left it for 5 mins and it would not restart, it felt like there was little compression in my kicker and after about 6 kicks or so there would be like a backfire pop from the exhaust but no engine run. Here are a couple of things that i did by the roadside just so you can get a beter picture i refilled the radiator and expansion bottle with water as it was BONE DRY kinda my own fault forgot to refill it before i left the enduro:bonk: so this could be a cause to my grief, i also removed the spark plug and it looked biscuit brown there was no traces of oil on it. Not being much of a 2 stroke buff i hand it over to the wealth of knowledge thats is you. Any suggestions are very much appreciated just so i know where i stand with the engine before i pull her apart and rebuild her. Many thanks to all in advance.

Normski :p

It doesnt sound good for you, top end rebuild and yes more than likley from running it out of coolant, but what happened to your coolant you need to determine why it ran dry .

It is time to take it apart and look at it. It sounds bad but you won't know until you take it apart.

Ed

Thanks for your feed back so far guys its very much appreciated. Just so your aware i did not run it without coolant it had coolant in it when i started the enduro but the fact that there was about a miles worth of thick boggy mud caused my engine to over heat each lap and dispense out of the overflow which eventually led to my radiator and expansion tank being empty i just forgot to refil it before i left the event. Heres a pic of me in action #139 Im the Jolly Green Giant LOL.

On a more serious not ive been researching into getting top end kits and just out of curiosity, ive been checking out getting a wiseco kit however heres what intrigues me i looked up a KDX 220 Piston kit on this website Click here and if you look at the item description it says it is for a KDX 220 86-06 pro-lite blah de blah when i cross referenced that part number 711M06600 with WISECO official page it says its for a KDX200.

I no this post is long winded but please stay with me.

Now my question is this the correct part number or does anyone out there know whatpart number i need beacause the bore size on a 200 is 66mm and the 220 is 69mm:banghead: .

I thank you in advance for your feedback

Normski:thumbsup:

I cant tell you about part # but the wiseco pro lite is a single ring piston and unless you want to do top ends more often go with a wiseco dual ring piston , check the TT store for part #'s if you already havent .