Sign in to follow this  

exessive play in throttle.

i have a brand new 09 crf450r but for some darn reason the throttle feels like it has to much play for my liking. im not sure if someone messed around with it or something but either way i was wondering first off, how do you adjust it to minimize play? second off what causes it to have excess play?

there are adjusters usually on the throttle end and also on the carb end

just loosen one nut and adjust it

cables may stretch thats why it gets more free play but more than likely it hasnt been adjusted right or the PO had it like that

there are adjusters usually on the throttle end and also on the carb end

just loosen one nut and adjust it

cables may stretch thats why it gets more free play but more than likely it hasnt been adjusted right or the PO had it like that

I recommend adjusting the nut on the throttle end first. It's the quickest/ easiest..

I put on an alum throttle tube and it helped some and i adjusted the rest at the throttle end

Too much play in which direction? At 0 throttle, rolling the throttle towards closed before you get a taught cable or towards open before it actually takes up enough slack to operate the throttle cam on the carb?

When I rig my throttle cables I like to set the return cable(throttle off)so that at 0 throttle I have slight slack in the cable end at the carb, meaning at about an inch behind the cable end at the carb I can push on it and deflect it sideways 1/4".

Then for the pull cable set it to your preferred feel/play. At least some play is recommended as opposed to having a taught cable at 0 throttle. 1/4" measured as above on the return cable works well without being excessive.

I usually make adjustments at the throttle housing end at the handlebars, but if after adjusting for the slack I want, the adjusters are backed out of the throttle housing too far, say, showing more than 1/2" of threads behind the nut when tightened, I'll screw those adjusters back in then take up the majority of the slack at the carb end of the cables, then go back and fine tune the adjustment at the throttle housing end.

Screwing the cable adjusters out of the throttle housing gives the effect of making the cable sheath longer/the cable shorter, taking up slack.