Sign in to follow this  

2008 SX450F do I have to open the engine?

My SX450F has 36 hours of gentle motocross action, no races yet. Engine runs fine, no weird noises at all. I wonder if it is advisable to open the engine and look at piston, rings or whatever.

Any help will be appreciated.

Salva

There's no way I would be tearing into something with that low of hours. Maybe check the valves and ride it. I have an 07 505 with 160+ hours without a single teardown....

Maybe just to put your mind at ease, just go with some feeler guages and check the valves. Thats as far as I would go. If it fires up fine, runs great, and doesnt make any death rattles, dont tear down.

I'm at 90 plus hours and still runs like a champ, never been in the engine. If it was me I wouldn't even be thinking about it for another 30 hours at least. I am getting the dirt tricks cam chain tensioner just to be safe but that can be changed without going into the engine as well. JMO

you don´t really have to do anything... but if you want to you can change the piston... it is a good rule to change it when you have money and time to do it...

I have an 07 450sxf, and replaced the piston and rings at 40 hrs like i've done on all my honda 450's i've had. I took my piston and cylinder to my engine builder and he said it looked like it could of went 100 hrs or more by the looks of it. The valves were in spec as well. I have to say, it is nice to see KTM must really use quality parts.

Im sure they do but they are quite expensive in comparison to the jap. bikes.

Oh,oh....

I feel a lynching coming on....:thumbsup:

Any comparable jap bikes to the SX-F have e-start? Hydro clutch? Brembos? adjustable offset triples? etc...etc... :usa: