Sign in to follow this  

Torn ligaments in knee - best knee brace?

Yesterday I tore some ligaments in my left knee, not sure how bad yet, but my leg below the knee bent outwards significantly and my foot twisted outwards at the same time (absolute agony). Luckily no bones broken. However, like any keen dirtbike rider the most important thing is when can i ride again (something for the doctors yet to tell me). What I would like to know is what is the best knee brace to buy when I can ride again? Experience anybody? What is a good make etc...?

Busted my acl while wearing Asterisk knee braces (one of the best). I'm becoming a believer that the best brace is OEM. I'm not sure if you can beat muscle structure for protection of your knee joint. Bicycle.

Busted my acl while wearing Asterisk knee braces (one of the best). I'm becoming a believer that the best brace is OEM. I'm not sure if you can beat muscle structure for protection of your knee joint. Bicycle.

Agreed... the BEST brace is the one that meets your needs most accurately. That being said, CTi2/OSSUR is the best made AND is custom so it's MADE far you and your needs. Get a indoor bicycle trainer to workout on.

I was riding with a buddy wearing CTI braces last year at Mt Adams when he tore his acl. Watige, not sure if you misunderstood me. I'm suggesting that the best way to avoid knee injury is to strengthen the muscles around the knee, mainly the quads.

I have some CTI customs for both knees. I would say that the muscles surrounding the knee are the best knee brace available. I don't feel any benefit with the CTI's on.

I was riding with a buddy wearing CTI braces last year at Mt Adams when he tore his acl. Watige, not sure if you misunderstood me. I'm suggesting that the best way to avoid knee injury is to strengthen the muscles around the knee, mainly the quads.

No I understood, I agree. I'm just saying that once you've compromised the original equipment, using a brace isn't a BAD idea. No they can't, won't, don't prevent all injuries. But who's to say how much worse the injury would have been without the brace on. Plus I thought you wrote that it was an Astrix? NOT the same as a fully custom designed, custom fitted carbon brace with predetermined "crumple" zones. The CTi is on a hole other level.

agreed. ditch the braces.

Please understand the purpose the brace serves. (1) as a tracking guide for the knee (2) as a warning strip before hyper extending/flexing, there by helping to protect the ACL (3) to provide extra stability, ESP lateral stability, that helps reduce the strain placed on the knee... Thes all contribute to knee protection, but that doesn't make up for muscle strength, or lack of it. SO strengthen like it's the only thing that will save your knee. Then brace your knee like your life depended on it. THAT"S what I was trying to say.:p

you are completely correct!!! I have had my left knee reconstructed this year along with somebody elses ACL and that is the only thing that would have really protected me was being in better shape! if I would have been putting good bicycle rides (stationary or mobile) my therapist said not only would I most likely not had the injury but if I did I would have been able to recover alot faster also.. I have been off since last may and now I ride a stationary bike every day but not to get in shape....to recover.. hopefully this recent surgery is my last and I will do what it takes to make sure it never happens again.

good luck to all of you guys with any injuries.. recover well and keep riding.:p

Watige, I used to agree with your pov but I challenge you to find reliable independant evidence of it. Other than empirical support, all data supporting the use of knee braces seems to be provided by knee brace manufacturers. I know lot's of small dabs where I'm sure my brace kept me from injury, but like I said before, if I'd been stronger it wouldn't have been a problem.

Watige, I used to agree with your pov but I challenge you to find reliable independant evidence of it. Other than empirical support, all data supporting the use of knee braces seems to be provided by knee brace manufacturers. I know lot's of small dabs where I'm sure my brace kept me from injury, but like I said before, if I'd been stronger it wouldn't have been a problem.

I have a grade 3+ ACL tear in my R knee (grade 5 means it's severed). Not yet repaired, I'll wait until it completly blows to have surgery. Anyhow, when riding I use modified WEB braces (custom stops put in), or my CTi2s (they have adjustable stop positions), I HIT the stops regularly when skiing/riding/hunting. I can tell you that ~5' past the lock/stop points my knee becomes VERY unstable/predictable, muscle strength, no matter how much would not be able to "catch" me BEFORE I had that much flexion/extension. That's the braces job. Besides muscles fatigue. My schooling is in orthotics/prosthetics, so I'm a little biased. Just my .02, since I work with allot of blown out knees.:p

:ride:

My schooling is in orthotics/prosthetics, so I'm a little biased. Just my .02, since I work with allot of blown out knees.:p

I mean no disrespect and I appreciate your knowledge and input, but you kind of support my point. LOL

I did the same thing, I partially tore my acl 10 years ago and have maintained and continued to ride using knee braces but I also know guys with partial or complete acl injuries that are into hardcore mountain biking and downhill who use no braces and swear they don't need surgery. Like I said, I was riding with a guy who tore his healthy acl wearing custom CTI's last year as well. We're talking about a simple get off on a leasurely trail ride, not FMX. He's a retired school teacher with good fitness for a 52 year old. But he admitted fitness was the reason for his injury.

You can't beat fitness. But at the same time I'd rather blow out a knee than have an evulsion at a muscles origin or insertion. I agree in fitness first, but having some sort of safety net. Even if it's a flawed one.