Sign in to follow this  

Illinois State Capitol On Wednesday

We are meeting at Halls Cycles on Wednesday, 7AM to go to the capitol to show opposition on Representative Flowers bill to ban kids from riding.

Please, we need as many parents and kids there as possible....the legislators need to have a visual.

This bill is scheduled to be discussed in committee at 8am on that day.

Transportation to and from the capitol will be provided.

pm me if you need more info.

as far as I know the only "groups" involved are ABATE and the AMA

We need as many young riders there to influence the legislators as possible. Groups dont vote, people do so we need voters there.

I contacted our local Springfield television station

For those of you who are not able to attend in person tomorrow, here is a link to the bill:

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocNum=3914&GAID=10&DocTypeID=HB&LegId=46740&SessionID=76&GA=96

And a link to the committee members:

http://www.ilga.gov/house/committees/members.asp?committeeID=587

Please make phone calls today (or tomorrow) if you haven't done this yet, since the hearing is Wednesday. It is very simple, just click on the member's name, call the office number, and tell them you are against House Bill 3914. They will ask your name and address, and take down your information.

I don't have hard numbers, but i hope everyone shows up that called and has e mailed me.

the way I figure it, we can spend all this time going to races and riding spots, 1/2 day off work and some quality time with the kids in an educational way at the capital isn't a bad thing. I can't imagine going to the capital for any other reason?

Yeah thats probably the only reason i would go to the capital :p so it's saying that my kids wont be able to ride there dirtbikes legally? what about the local riding area I cant be there but I will call and cast my no vote :ride:

Right now A.B.A.T.E is focused on the Senate helmet law bill that may come up for a vote by the full Senate this week. However, if anyone has contacts in A.B.A.T.E, especially in the chapter in Springfield or with the state organization it couldn't hurt to let them know that there will be off road and youth riding enthusiasts in Springfield to lobby about the Flowers bill on Wednesday. They may send a representative there to show their support as they have come out in opposition to this bill. They do have credibility and recognition in both houses of the State legislature.

I'd also recommend contacting the AMA Government Relations office in Ohio and let them know that you are having a group in Springfield on Wednesday. If nothing else they could put out an action email alert that might inform and get more people to turn out.

I can't make it down on Wednesday, but I will be informing 2 motorcycle clubs I belong to about this issue and have the members write and call.

Good luck.

Don't let differences in the way we enjoy motorcycles or loyalty to the brands of motorcycles we choose stop us from hanging together to fight proposed BAD motorcycle laws. ALL motorcyclists are in this together. If you get support from the guys fighting a helmet law for this issue, lend them a bit of support for their issue. ALL of motorcycling will be the better for it.

Please advise how things go. I thought this kind of thing only happened in my home state of Kalifornia!

Good luck guys, I hope you kick some tail!

Congrats to everyne that showed up and support the little kids and there sport. I seen on Racer X that the future of Motocross in Illinois is still gonna be happening. Bob Pistole and there was another track owner there. Im proud to say we have you guys as track owners and represent our spot with pride. I think the other track was the Richies from Red Bud. Also they said a little kid stood up for his rights to ride and the panel was impressed... Congrats to the people that showed and prepresented our sport.

http://www.racerxonline.com/article/more-on-illinois-youth-ban-defeat.aspx

Great news. Special to the Dist.17 reps that work for us. Thanks.

I emailed by state rep. Tom Cross and he said that he would vote against it. I was very impressed that he emailed me twice. I didnt see any of the other reps that had email address - I guess they dont what to hear from the public.

My x girlfriends uncle is tom cross and I just texted her telling her to say thanks to her uncle for me. I have met him and hes a really nice guy. Ill let him know that all of us at TT and our sport are thankful for his help.

here is what i posted on another board....................

OUr people (Bob ward & stacey Rigsby) who are abate and d-17 ama will keep in touch with Flowers. She didn't have a clue what she was talking about. i was completely surprised that a person "elected" to represent people is/was that misinformed. She is meeting with them for next year to see if we can form a bill that would be for strictly education. Can you imagine if we can turn this bill into a safety class for grade school kids for atv's? NOt a ban, but education be excellent.

anyway here some overview.

1. She gave here testimoney and never once said motorcycle.

2. She was indeed trying to ban ALL riders under 16 years old.

3. She did the same bullcrap as they did with the lead law (save the children) and it seemed the more WRONG she was, the LOUDER she got.

4. We embarrassed her today, and she will be back.

5. She likes attention. as demostrated in the haulway after she lossed.

6. AMA is/was represented, it US!!!! we are the arm of AMA. Bud was there today also who is the AMA rep to DNR and on the state board.

7. Jay, Stan, Sacey, Patty, Bud, and myself were there and are D-17 board members past and present.

8. Crossroads mx, motosports park (byron), Joliet mx (REV), Walnut (sunset ridge)Variety riders, PMC, Lamoines Ramblers, Pleasure riders, Oakely Dirt Riders, Foxvalley, and some other clubs and promoters where represented or owners there.

9. We will have to now keep and "eye" on her and some of her supporters. We will have to form a "minute man" group that in a few days can organize and show prepared with consistant, concise information to support our riding concerns. D-17 will work on that so that by next year we are more prepared.

10. OUr showing was great today. OUr message was cloudy and not concise. We will have specific people talk, and keep on message so to make it clear we know what we are doing. Today went well, we surprised them big time, now they know who and what we are, we have to play thier game better.

TV station was there, however our time slot at 9:30 was when we were mired in the middle of discussion. I spoke to channel 20 directly at 8:30 and was told by the news desk dude he was on his way....... I don't know if they interveiwed people in the hall way as we overflowed the room by 20-30 people. Congressman were coming from all over the capital to "see whats going on"! The policeman came and asked security "do you guys need back up" LOL, the security guy says nope these guys are good!!!

good day guys and thanks for all the support. D-17 can be proud that it's members will sacrifice time and effort for something we all love to do.

ps. Don't give up on sending letters and emails and calls about teh lead ban to your FEDERAL legislators. IN ILLINIOIS hammer on durbin and burris, and your national congressman. That law is going to take some time and we need to keep that fight alive.

it was definitly a eye opening experience. I am 43 and that was the first time I have been in the Capitol. Almost like being in a courtroom. This Flowers lady really had no idea what she was talking about. Half the committee hardly paid attention. The three that voted to support the bill were tight with Ms Flowers and you could sense they supported anything that Ms Flowers brings up.

It was great to see the unity , all different types of disciplines from motorcycling were there. It was great to have ABATE support us to. Even though they are mainly street oriented they are very supportive of the off road folks to. They have some key folks who lobby and stay real involved with anything motorcycle related.

Big Thanks to Wardy for rounding the troops up.

:banghead::)

Congratulations on getting this defeated to everyone who made an effort to get it done. Alot of people that you will never know of or have a clue about made calls, sent emails and letters in support of the young riders of Illinois.

A.B.A.T.E was mentioned and as you know, they were in your corner 100%.

How about returning the favor and calling your State Senator in Springfield and asking him to vote NO on SB 1351 which is a mandatory helmet law for all riders on Illinois roads. It's a freedom of choice issue...Riders should be free to choose for themselves whether or not to wear a helmet! PLUS, if a helmet law passes it could lead to the end of the U of I administered MSF Learn to ride courses. Helmet law advocates would go after the money (not tax money, but motorcyclists money from license and registration surcharges) under the reasoning that with a helmet law the courses would no longer be needed!

Make the call soon as this could come up for a vote on the Senate floor very soon! A.B.A.T.E was in the Off Road riders corner when it was needed...Won't you be in theirs?

For the record...The AMA opposes this Bill as well.

Who were the others that voted for this? We need to hammer them now, so it doesnt come up again.The scary part is that government is getting way to big and taking away all our freedoms. What's next? Banning of all kitchen knives because people get stabbed?

Here's an idea.. Invite the 3 who voted against it to a race, see what's its all about.

Gerhard has the names of the three who voted for the ban. They were three strong supporters of Rep. Flowers and it sounds like they support anything she brings up. One of those you scratch my back and I scratch yours kind of deals. Hopefully when folks meet with Flowers they can meet with these 3 as well.

Congratulations on getting this defeated to everyone who made an effort to get it done. Alot of people that you will never know of or have a clue about made calls, sent emails and letters in support of the young riders of Illinois.

A.B.A.T.E was mentioned and as you know, they were in your corner 100%.

How about returning the favor and calling your State Senator in Springfield and asking him to vote NO on SB 1351 which is a mandatory helmet law for all riders on Illinois roads. It's a freedom of choice issue...Riders should be free to choose for themselves whether or not to wear a helmet! PLUS, if a helmet law passes it could lead to the end of the U of I administered MSF Learn to ride courses. Helmet law advocates would go after the money (not tax money, but motorcyclists money from license and registration surcharges) under the reasoning that with a helmet law the courses would no longer be needed!

Make the call soon as this could come up for a vote on the Senate floor very soon! A.B.A.T.E was in the Off Road riders corner when it was needed...Won't you be in theirs?

For the record...The AMA opposes this Bill as well.

agreed, and so people know this helmet bill recieved some more partisan support with another guy jumping on. It needs to be shot down, because once these "gonna save the world" types get that done, they will be focusing on off road more. I already made the calls, need to do the letters.