Sign in to follow this  

KX100/85 Question

Ok-- I finished my KX65 pit bike project which came out pretty good. Now it's time to start a new chapter in the form of a small wheeled (14/17 inch) KX100.

Here is my question to the KX85/100 tuner gurus out there. I'm 5'5 and 145, should I respring and revalve the stock KX100 shock and forks, and simply bolt on the smaller wheels, or should I go on Ebay and get the shorter 85 swinger and shock, and have that shock resprung and revalved? Would there be any advantage to running the 100 rear end, or would it cause handling problems with the smaller wheels?

I have heard of guys running a 15 inch rear wheel on the 85 and 100. If I did this, which rear end would I use? Anybody experiment with any of these options? --L*64

You can go between wheel sizes (14/17 and 16/19) with the longer arm.

I'd keep the longer arm and make the set up that way.... more flexibility later on.

-Kerry

Yeah-- I was thinking to keep the 100 rear end parts, I just didn't want the thing to be like a hill climber with a long swinger. --L*64

Yeah-- I was thinking to keep the 100 rear end parts, I just didn't want the thing to be like a hill climber with a long swinger. --L*64

It's only a couple inches at best. The ride height is a bit higher with the longer arm, maybe a half an inch.

I know people use them around here for truer tracking in straights. I asked about cornering, it's not noticeable. After a few rides you get used to it, if you've been riding the bike with a shorter swing arm. It appears you're not going to have that same issue, only smaller wheels. That's a minor change in center of gravity height by an inch.

-Kerry

Yeah... Probably should be fine. I think it's only an inch longer on the 100 now that I think of it. --L*64