Sign in to follow this  

Aftermarket Flywheel...?

Hey guys, I was just wondering what aftermarket flywheels do. I had a guy ask me if my bike was "weighted" and I was wondering what they do... Always looking for more performance!

improves "chugability" or "snap" by either weighting the load on the crank or lightening the load.

So would it really make a difference.. Is an aftermarket one worth it...? I ride trails, logging roads, and sometimes the MX track. I would love some more snap...

trail riders normally go for more weight (chug) v. MX riders who like snap. the X flywheel is weighted more than the X for this reason.

Depends on personal preference and what you want. I can make a fairly large difference in motor characteristcs depending on the weight chosen.

For the new 450R, they chose a steel clutch basket to improve the low end power response (slower). They claim this was better than the flywheel weight due to the dynamics of motor setup (i.e. clutch basket size, direction of rotation, location to C.G.).

I like having the snap in case i need to quickly get the front end up over a log or something...

More snap will also mean easier to stall, as the inertia decreases it will be easier to stop the motor. This is why most prefer heavier fly wheels for offroad. Tecnical and tight(read slow) without stalling or tons of clutching.

I run a heavier one, not for stalling, but for better traction in slick terrain. In lower gears there's still plenty snap to loft the wheel, higher gears you do notice some loss of snap but a fan of the clutch picks it right up.

I run a heavier one, not for stalling, but for better traction in slick terrain. In lower gears there's still plenty snap to loft the wheel, higher gears you do notice some loss of snap but a fan of the clutch picks it right up.

Hi

what weight have you took? i can't figure out weather 9 or 7 are enough or too much...

Edited by a c t i v e X

Hi

what weight have you took? i can't figure out weather 9 or 7 are enough or too much...

ran the heaviest trailtech +11 on the x, just put on in the winter when all the roots and rocks were slimy wet slick . In more open terrain I wouldn't considered it.

I like having the snap in case i need to quickly get the front end up over a log or something...

I put a CRF250R flywheel on my bike as it has less mass than the X flywheel. I also added a stage three cam, so the bike is really set up for power in the higher RPMs. However, if those RPMs are high enough, I have plenty of snap to lift the wheel.

I have no idea what the R flywheel would do with a stock cam, but the mod should only cost you about 30 bucks to find out.

I put an R flywheel on our 250x and removed the starter clutch assembly, so that removed a significant amount of rotating mass from the engine. Those are just a couple of mods that Ive done to the bike.

Havent had any issues with stalling at all but, the bike isnt used for low speed single track with nasty hill climbs either. Really like the power and acceleration it has now and didnt lose the low rpm pull.