GasGas FSR450 07' Owners Report

Well I thought I might give an update on my machine...

I've had the bike for 2 years now and racked up just over 4,000kms.

Modifications made include Larger Clark tank, Race Tech suspension (Both ends springs and revalve), 08' model seat, decent rim lock on the rear, B&B bashplate, Force radiator guards, Barkbuster EGO hadguards, Heavy Duty tubes.

I recently gave it a new chain and front sprocket, new plastic radiator shrouds and another rear tyre (IRC M5B).

I also sent it into my dealer to get the fuel trim reset... It was out of spec. running rich...

The valves have not moved since new. It still runs all the original bearings for the wheels and linkages... (I like to clean and pack regularly).

My first worry I had with the bike was a wiring fault from new that stopped it from starting.. This was something that was a common problem in earlier models around the header pipe and was easily fixed..

I had a clutch basket failure early in the relationship, but this I was told was due to an off I had which dented the side cover and impacted the clutch assembly..

I had to replace a waterpump seal as it let a drip of water into the oil round 3,000kms

So after an early rough start to my relationship with the GasGas brand, I have got to say it has been very reliable.. I suppose you might be wondering why I didn't post up any concerns earlier. Well I thought it would be an injustice to the brand to slander it after owning it just a short while. And I just gave it a chance. I'm glad I own my Gasser it has been so far a great bike to ride and the support I get from my dealer is nothing short of fantastic..Would I buy another GasGas ? Yes ,but only when they improve on the one I already have. :)The new models I have ridden, I've found them to be the same as mine with suspension mods except for a little more poke up top.. I think I might hang onto it for another year. I feel I have got this bike dialed in for me and recently feeling quite proud of it :p

Here are a few recent pictures of it..

DSCF1981.jpg

DSCF1977.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks JR. Great post.

My '07 450 has been great. Only done 2,800km since new so far. Had 900km on it when I purchased 1.5yrs ago.

Like you, I think mine is starting to run a little rich - time to take it in for a fuel trim reset. I think I'll get the valves checked also. I suspect they won't have moved/will not need adjustment.

My only recent issue is the starting problem:

The bike seems to have a intermittent wiring fault whereby when the key is turned on, the fuel pump does not prime/solenoid does not 'tick' on & off every time. When this happens, the start button also is ineffective. I replaced the solenoid under the battery (thinking it was suspect) & the problem persisted.

The problem has occurred on the last few rides (which is worrying). I temporarily fixed the issue by 'pushing on' the wiring loom on the right hand side, near the ECU.

Only tonight, I've traced (I hope) the problem to the ECU loom connector. I'm not sure if it's the connector or a broken wire leading into the ECU connector.

Basically I turn the key on & intermittently get no fuel pump 'prime'. Gently pushing the loom wires coming out of the ECU connector with a screw driver seems to re-connect the circuit & enable the bike to start.

Can you further explain the starting issue you had? Was it similar to this?

I'm not sure what else I can do, as I'm not sure if the connector can be replaced/repaired.

FSR450.jpg

FSR450a.jpg

• Like 1

Actually I did have an intermittent problem like you described.. I found there is a bullet connection on the right hand side wiring harness near the steering head.. I found it was cutting the pump off and on... I fixed this by soldering the joint and never had a worry since. From memory I think it's the wire that leads to the kill switch..

Nice write up JRDoz, Even after 3 1/2 years with mine, I'm still proud of it. Ultra reliable and it takes everything I give it in stride. Guys that I ride with and new riders I meet are all impressed with what came stock on the bike even back in '05 and are further impressed when we end the day and I've ridden towards the front of the pack without a hiccup. I think at this point the bike has proven it's reliablity and can hang with the best of them. It's amazing how many newer enduro models still don't come with coolant catch tanks or radiator fans. Many rides, most other bikes are puking and overheating and I'm waiting at the end of a big climb or a nasty trail and the Gasser is just sitting there at normal temp with all of it's coolant wanting more. Great bikes, I would buy another, but I'm always open to other brands.

ggtrucklift.jpg

Hi All,

Well I feel 98% confident that the problem I had is now fixed. Read on for the feedback I gave John @ GasGas Australia. The help they provided was great - replied to my emails quickly & supplied the info I needed (450 wiring diagram).

"After many hours of fault-finding I have found that it was a suspect connection in the ECU connector. It was actually a female pin receptacle inside the connector attached to the main loom that was at fault.

Basically the fault was REALLY intermittent because the problem only occurred when the bike (& connector) was at a certain temperature. The female electrical receptacle at pin 19 was expanding when the bike was at operating temperature & causing it to loose electrical connection.

As a replacement connector is not available, I fixed the problem by inserting a few fine strands of earthing lead (tinned copper) used on aircraft, inside the female receptacle at pin 19. This 'fills' up the air gap between the ECU pin & female pin receptacle when at temperature & enables a permanent electrical connection. I also removed the whole harness, cleaned all connectors & added DC5 paste, to aid in preventing any possible future corrosion/issues."

Would this make a good dual-purpose bike? As in, commute short distances to work, and trail ride on weekends or explore all the unpaved back roads?

There's one for sale in my area, 07, 510 miles, I think with a license plate already on it. (You can plate almost anything in Montana) for $4,500.

Well I thought I might give an update on my machine...

I've had the bike for 2 years now and racked up just over 4,000kms.

Modifications made include Larger Clark tank, Race Tech suspension (Both ends springs and revalve), 08' model seat, decent rim lock on the rear, B&B bashplate, Force radiator guards, Barkbuster EGO hadguards, Heavy Duty tubes.

I recently gave it a new chain and front sprocket, new plastic radiator shrouds and another rear tyre (IRC M5B).

I also sent it into my dealer to get the fuel trim reset... It was out of spec. running rich...

The valves have not moved since new. It still runs all the original bearings for the wheels and linkages... (I like to clean and pack regularly).

My first worry I had with the bike was a wiring fault from new that stopped it from starting.. This was something that was a common problem in earlier models around the header pipe and was easily fixed..

I had a clutch basket failure early in the relationship, but this I was told was due to an off I had which dented the side cover and impacted the clutch assembly..

I had to replace a waterpump seal as it let a drip of water into the oil round 3,000kms

So after an early rough start to my relationship with the GasGas brand, I have got to say it has been very reliable.. I suppose you might be wondering why I didn't post up any concerns earlier. Well I thought it would be an injustice to the brand to slander it after owning it just a short while. And I just gave it a chance. I'm glad I own my Gasser it has been so far a great bike to ride and the support I get from my dealer is nothing short of fantastic..Would I buy another GasGas ? Yes ,but only when they improve on the one I already have. :)The new models I have ridden, I've found them to be the same as mine with suspension mods except for a little more poke up top.. I think I might hang onto it for another year. I feel I have got this bike dialed in for me and recently feeling quite proud of it :excuseme:

Here are a few recent pictures of it..

DSCF1981.jpg

DSCF1977.jpg

Some of the problems you had are not uncommon for any bike brand.

Just picked up a 2008 FSR 450.

Going through it now. 

Ordered a new injector as the original appears to have clogged a bit.

Will put new fuel line and inline filter as well.

Need to source a larger tank. Any suggestions?

29550745223_f883aa10d4_b.jpg

30116689055_41c4bf9c87_b.jpg

Edited by johnalex