Sign in to follow this  

Transmission

I've got only 3.9 hours on my engine as of the ride yesterday. As I was riding, the transmission felt a little hard sometimes to shift. I was pulling the clutch all the way in before I shifted. Most of the time it would have very smooth gear transition, but sometimes at low speeds when shifting, it would take more pull on the shifter to get it into the next gear.

Could this be because it is just breaking in? The clutch seems to be adjusted correctly knowing that I can pull the clutch in and be able to stay still.

And I was wondering how sturdy the transmissions are on these bikes?

thanks

On my previous YZF's and now including my 09 it takes about 10 good hours on the bike for the transmission to feel perfect. They are all tight when new and will shift much better with some time on them, also important to change the oil a few times during this period. The transmissions hold up well on the YZ's even with abuse, your clutch and basket will wear out long before the transmission unless you are rough on it.

This may be a stupid question but the engine crankcase oil is the oil for the transmission too, right?

This may be a stupid question but the engine crankcase oil is the oil for the transmission too, right?

You are correct.

You should take the time to read your manual and FAQ section. It will give you the basics about your bike and put you at ease with little issues.

Chris

When i pull in the clutch while moving, the engine doesn't seem to go back down to an idle but keeps a rev as if the wheel is turning the motor (hard to explain). Is this normal? I can stay out of motion with the clutch pulled in meaning the clutch is adjusted correctly.

You make it sound like the idle is set up a little. While you're rolling and clutch, the revs may stay up. We ride without using the clutch, but we ride fast trails 2nd, 3rd, 4th gears most of the time. Sometimes it will hang and not shift, but usually if you blip the throttle it will shift. Sometimes mine will shift under power, but I don't make a habit of that.

It idles great when not moving and when i give it a quick rev when i am moving and pull in the cluch it will go down to idle

it seems as if the clutch is grabbing slightly

brand new bike so maybe not worn in yet

Yamaha's don't shift like Honda's, that's for sure. my WR didn't shift very smooth compared to all my friends Honda's and my KTM. but better than Kawi's and Suzuki's

it should get better, but don't expect it to shift without you feeling it.

might want to run a better oil, I'd recommend Bel Ray or Amsoil. stay away from car oil, it's emissions safe and isn't designed for your bike. you want something designed for use with a wet clutch, and can't go wrong with AMS or Bel Ray, being the two best motorcycle oil's

Do a search on oil and read until you go blind to get the scoop. Lots of opinions...