Sign in to follow this  

no 5th gear?

i just got an 02 yz250 yesterday. It runs great but when you shift into 5th gear, its like you are shifting into nutrual. Any ideas what this could be? is this thing safe to ride how it is as long as i dont use 5th?

I would split the case and see if the teath are stripped. I would not ride it because there might be metel floting in the trans and could damage the cases

and always a chance the tranny could lock-up or slip out of gear...

wow i guess i am f***ed... i just sold my cr125 and blaster for this thing... and i have no idea how to split the cases... and i have no money to spend...

Well... i called the guy that i bought it off of... he had no idea about the bike. He only rode it once because he said it was too fast. So he gave me $300 to put twards the repair.

Other than that, i think i got a good deal. It was $1200 and i got thor boots, new plastics, 3 new tires, and a stand. The bike has lots of after market parts, like FCR racing suspension, boysen clutches and cover, v force reeds and reed spacer, fmf pipe, and easton bars. What do u guys think? http://i675.photobucket.com/albums/vv111/e814bay/downsized_0309091107.jpg

Decent deal, how often are you in 5th gear? Is it worth doing all the work? With a good manual, TT, and decent set of tools anything it possible

I would try to do the work if i had a place to work, a manual, and the tools... but unfortunatly i dont have any of those. I ended up taking the bike to a dealer. I just dont want to let it go and screw somthing else up. At least i have $300 to start with... It should be worth it in the end...

I hope you can find a shop that will do it for a reasonable fee...I'd hate to think what a "regular shop" would charge these days !

I took it to a regular dealer... he said $90 to split the cases and to see what is going on. Hes going to call me with a total estimate when he finds out... Do you guys think it could be over $500?

do the work yourself, you will pay out the nose to get it fixed. Splitting the cases is not hard, just takes some time and care. You will learn alot about how your bike works too.

I took it to a regular dealer... he said $90 to split the cases and to see what is going on. Hes going to call me with a total estimate when he finds out... Do you guys think it could be over $500?

$ 90.00 to start sounds pretty fair, jsut depends on eh exact amount of parts needed to fix it...I'd really think about new main bearings and crank seals while you have it apart.

No I doubt it unless u have a terrible dealership which charge alot for labour

i spent 160 bucks from rocky mountain on the four tools you need to split the cases. flywheel/clutch basket holder, flywheel puller, case splitter, crank puller/installer. all tusk products.

rockymountainatvmc.com also has a video on youtube showing a step by step procedure of doing the bottom end on a yamaha 2 stroke. go check it out. it was really helpful to me.

$ 90.00 to start sounds pretty fair, jsut depends on eh exact amount of parts needed to fix it...I'd really think about new main bearings and crank seals while you have it apart.

Yea that does sound like a good idea... The problem is I only have $300 to work with right now... and i'm hoping its gonna be $500 or less to fix it... if it is less, I was going to ask him what other parts I SHOULD replace. And hopefully I'll be riding soon!:)

Just got the call from the shop today. Its going to be $875 total. He has to replace the piston & rings, some gears, oil sheild, main bearings, and shift forks. $514 in parts. Sorta sucks I traded 2 good running machines for this. But hopefully gonna get it running before the year is over. I guess its just gonna sit til i can save up the money.

i would really do it yourself, you will do just fine if you follow directions carefully. My first bottom end i didnt have any kind of manual or reference except a blowup diagram yet i still managed to get everything working right.

you will learn a lot about your bike and save tons of money in the process. Also the tools you buy now you can use on pretty much any bike that you'll buy in the future.

Just got the call from the shop today. Its going to be $875 total. He has to replace the piston & rings, some gears, oil sheild, main bearings, and shift forks. $514 in parts. Sorta sucks I traded 2 good running machines for this. But hopefully gonna get it running before the year is over. I guess its just gonna sit til i can save up the money.

While it seems he's giving you a pretty reasonable deal on labor...I would honestly think about giving it a shot yourself. The pride and self satisfaction is a great feeling...not to mention, you prove to yourself you can do it. Remember, anything you CAN'T get back together, you're guy will. It's not like your going to destroy your bike by trying.

You dont' really need much for tools..metric socket set, some wrenches...the tusk products previously mention help, but honestly you don't HAVE to have a case splitter.

And if you simply don't feel up to it, or don't enjoy doing your own wrenching...I get that too. Either way, good luck!:)