Sign in to follow this  

Fractured Patella - Looking for Support and Advice

Hello ~ I don't ride a motorcycle ... but I am a mom of four children who love to run ... I'm just looking for advice as to what I can expect and questions I may want to pose to my doctors.

I was in a head-on car collision on 1-29-09 ... and suffered a compound fracture to my knee cap ... I'm told that the top plate of my knee cap was broke in half and under neath was in eight pieces ... I also have a fibia/tibia break ... right above my ankle, which is more sore than anything else ... I also suffered a broken rib, which has pretty much healed up. I had emergency surgery that same day at Tufts Medical Center in Boston, MA and was told that they used Fiber Wire to repair the breaks .. no hardware used at all.

At my next doctor's appointment ... I will have been in my Bledsoe immoblizer brace for 7 weeks. I have been doing my PT exercises on and off since I came home ... but recently, after getting off those damn oxcodone pain killers ... I am more energized and feel like my myself and feel my motivation coming back and have been doing my PT exercies at least twice a day ... I can tolerate weight and have not been relying on my crutches much, except for the end of the day ... I even took a short walk with my daughter (with one crutch)

I wonder what kind of recovery time I can expect ... when will the brace come off and how soon before I will bend my leg "as normal" ... when will I be able to run again? or drive again?

I'm trying to stay positive!

Any advice and support you guys can give me ... like stories, etc., I would find helpful!

Thank you.

Jane

:p

I broke mine last May. I then realized the importance of that little bone. Dr Mark fixed it in June and by September I felt good enough to ride the dirt bike again. He did not use hardware either, he used the wire/thread. I had him take it out in Sept once the swelling went away I could feel the knots in the thread through my skin. Rehab sucked, but after about 3 months of hard rehad it was good again. Range of motion is most important. I am guessing you are quite stiff by now. He had me take my brace off everyday and work on range of motion starting immediatly after the repair. I think that helped a lot.

good luck.

Thank you for your response FlyingCouch ... I really wanted to hear from somebody with similar injury/repair/rehab situation as mine.

I will ask my doctor about the removal of anything ... I'd be curious, as I honestly do not want to have to go through that again!

Yeah ... I have had a physical therapist coming to my house since I got home from the hospital ... and just recently I've been doing PT exercises religiously working it at least 3 times a day ... I'll take your advice and really work hard at it!

Thanks again!

Jane

:p