Capital Forest vs Jones Creek

I'm planning a riding trip up from AZ in May. I'm trying to organize a riding group with friends and family to suprise my Dad for his 60th birthday. He lives outside of Portland and we have rode Jones Creek in the last couple of years so I have an idea of its conditions. I used to live in Olympia for a couple of years back in 2000 so I got pretty familiar with Capital but have not been back there since. I was doing a little research and it looks like some of the trails are in pretty bad shape, according to some threads posted last year. Can someone give me an update on the trails up there, I know there closed now but how was it last summer? We would most likely take off from middle waddell since it is less of a drive from Portland.

My group will be a mix of bikes and quads. Should we go to JC or make the trek up to Capital? Most likely a day ride but some may be camping over night, still not sure. Thanks for the input guys!

The more I'm reading I think I'm leaning towards Jones Creek since it is closer to Portland and because of the one-way loops etc. Whats the best way, if I'm not an insider, to find the other "hidden" trails? Don't worry, I won't take any quads where they shouldn't be. We are dealing with the same quadtards down in Arizona also.

I'm planning a riding trip up from AZ in May. I'm trying to organize a riding group with friends and family to suprise my Dad for his 60th birthday. He lives outside of Portland and we have rode Jones Creek in the last couple of years so I have an idea of its conditions. I used to live in Olympia for a couple of years back in 2000 so I got pretty familiar with Capital but have not been back there since. I was doing a little research and it looks like some of the trails are in pretty bad shape, according to some threads posted last year. Can someone give me an update on the trails up there, I know there closed now but how was it last summer? We would most likely take off from middle waddell since it is less of a drive from Portland.

My group will be a mix of bikes and quads. Should we go to JC or make the trek up to Capital? Most likely a day ride but some may be camping over night, still not sure. Thanks for the input guys!

You ought to consider going to the Tillamook State Forest. Depending on where your dad lives it may even be closer than Jones Creek. Just my two cents.

You ought to consider going to the Tillamook State Forest. Depending on where your dad lives it may even be closer than Jones Creek. Just my two cents.

I'm still thinking about that since it would be opening weekend at JC. Browns camp is open year round right? Browns camp is about 2-2.5 hours, JC is about 1.5 hours from my folks. I was leaning towards JC because we will have a wide variety of skill so I thought the dedicated one-way loops would be good.

DNR has changed the rules for Capital forest this year. The trails won't open until May 1rst and I think there is a ATV poker run on that first weekend so the area around middle waddel is likely to be packed. If you are looking for a poker run to ride they do allow bikes on the ATV poker run.

• 3 weeks later...

This email came in today.

Joe........

ORV and horseback riders and campers longing to get out and play in Capitol Forest this April will have to wait another month. The Washington State Department of Natural Resources (DNR), which manages the forest, has permanently changed the opening date to May 1.

The decision to move the date back one month came about last year as a result of discussions with representatives from user groups in the area and feedback from the recreating public. This new season brings Capitol Forest’s season in line with the Yacolt Burn Start Forest season, which was changed five years ago at the suggestion of user groups.

“We know from the Yacolt Burn season change that there will be an immediate positive impact on the protection of natural resources,” said Brian Poehlein, a recreation manager with DNR’s Pacific Cascade Region.

DNR staff also expect the season change will reduce the amount of maintenance needed on the trail systems in Capitol Forest by keeping traffic off saturated soils during the typically rainy month of April. This, too, was a lesson learned from Yacolt Burn.

The new season open and closure dates had unanimous support from the user group representatives. The closing date was moved back one month to December 1, which still offers seven months of outdoor recreation opportunities for ORV users, horse riders, and campers.

Trails in Capitol Forest are open all year for non-motorized use, except for horses.

For more information about recreation in Capitol Forest, contact Brian Poehlein at 360-575-5021 or brian.poehlein@dnr.wa.gov.

I just got my DNR email today. That sucks. Not that I ride much there in April anyway, but one more month that it's not even a choice. That place does get pretty torn up in April most years so it's probably a good thing in the long run.

I just got my DNR email today. That sucks. Not that I ride much there in April anyway, but one more month that it's not even a choice. That place does get pretty torn up in April most years so it's probably a good thing in the long run.

You gain a month at the end of the season as well so it is a wash. Also, open weekend during the closure have worked well in the past at JC but we have not had any in a couple of years now. Open weekend work when there is a long dry spell. Communication is the problem with open weekends, DNR's web site sucks, and the people that would make the call to move ahead with an open weekend can't post things on the DNR web site.

Joe........

Feb 2006 open weekend: http://www.jctra.org/gallery/v/freeride/2006/jc12feb06/

Feb 2007 open weekend: http://www.jctra.org/gallery/v/freeride/2007/jcow18feb07/

MAr 2007 open weekend:

http://www.jctra.org/gallery/v/freeride/2007/jc19mar07/

is jones creek the same place as diamond mill? or is jones creek in washington?

there is a jones creek at both washington and oregon just below diamond mill i ride there alot:thumbsup: best riding in the coast range in my opinion now with the new cut over its nice, i usualy stage at jones creek and ride up the back side to the upper sections of diamond mill but for day trips with the kids i stage at diamond mill. i love it up there any ideas on the trail conditions up there???

The openning weekend in April is always been a mud fest at the poker run after the quads have thier way with them. The trails really take a beating that week end. So I do not mind waiting another month, If it means the trail will not be so crappy from the quads at the poker run.

I have seen most of the quad riders come in at the end of the poker run and the only spot that is not covered in mud is where thier goggles and helmet covered thier face. Quite a few have an inch of mud all over themselfs.

If you lessen close, .................. You can almost hear a shy of relief from the trails at Capitol Forest .

I know that if you start on the Rock Candy side of CF you will only be able to go west on the North Rim Loop. Everything to the east from that staging area is currently not accessible due to two land slides.
have you been there lately?i am curious about the slides you reference.are they new?as of last season i was able to access all of northrim,waddell creek,mt.molly porter,#40,#30 & rock candy trails all from the rock candy trailhead.?