Sign in to follow this  

Lift strap for under $5

Honda did a great job designing the CRF450X, but why they didn't include a handy place to lift the back of the bike is beyond me. You can lift by grabbing the rear fender just behind the right number plate but I never felt good about that and if you dualsport and add turn signals, the turn signal will be in the way.

The lift straps that are available (Tugger) look like a nice product but seem way over priced for what you are getting. For less than $5 worth of hardware you can make your own lift strap that, in some ways, is more flexible than the commercially available ones.

You need 4' of 1" strapping (like the kind on backpacks) and a male and female connector (again, like the kind on backpacks). I bought both of these at my local hardware store ($.50/ft for the strap and $1.00 each for the connectors).

SANY0009.jpg

Cut the strapping into two pieces (I made mine 21" and 27") and melt the cut ends to prevent fraying.

SANY0011.jpg

Remove the seat and side numberplates from your bike and loop the strapping around the subframe then install the connectors.

SANY0013.jpg

SANY0014.jpg

Thread the connector and strapping through the holes in the side numberplates and reinstall them. I leave the excess strapping on the left side long and tuck it back in through the hole in the numberplate. One of the advantages of this lift strap is that it doesn't interfere with removing and installing the seat. You just unbuckle it and you can rebuckle it and use it to lift the bike with out the seat installed.

SANY0019.jpg

I offset the buckle to the left side of the bike because if you center it on the seat, when you lift, your hand will compress the buckle and it will release. I have had this lift on my bike for about two years and have never had a problem with it.

SANY0020.jpg

SANY0021.jpg

• Like 2

I can't see any of your pics at work, so I'll assume you did a good job.

I know plenty of people with tuggers and love them. I'm still in need personally.

I wish I had a picture of the time I sank my X above both wheels up to the seat and needed 6 others to help me get it out. A tugger would've been nice to have. A crane would have been even better though.:p

It is a nice cheap way to go. :p Nice job, a little gas for all of your work. :ride:

Just be careful with that buckle. I have seen those things break. No way would I use it to tow.

Cool post and work! I agree with old man about the buckle though. If you can find one of those buckles that the CRFs only straps come with; you'd be perfect!

I wish I had seen this or come up with the idea before I bought mine!

It is a nice cheap way to go. :p Nice job, a little gas for all of your work. :ride:

Just be careful with that buckle. I have seen those things break. No way would I use it to tow.

Thanks for the gas OM.

I know what you mean about the buckles. I have a Moose front fender bag and the buckles broke on it. I replaced them with the same buckles I used for the lift strap and haven't had any problems since.

I hadn't thought about trying to tow using the lift strap but then again, I don't ride with KTMs very often :moon:

If anyone has a picture of a tug strap that is made for a CRF450X I would like to see some pictures of it.

If anyone has a picture of a tug strap that is made for a CRF450X I would like to see some pictures of it.

Refer to the pic you just looked at.... so much for "attention to detail" on your observations. :banghead:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7802295#post7802295

CRASH....

Nice work!!! Way to think outside the box!! :)

... however, My ass would bust that buckle. Or that buckle would bust up my leg as I tend to move all about the bike when riding. I tried a rear fender box/bag setup once... oh boy, did it bug. That buckle would too.

Refer to the pic you just looked at.... so much for "attention to detail" on your observations. :banghead:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7802295#post7802295

CRASH....

Nice work!!! Way to think outside the box!! :)

... however, My ass would bust that buckle. Or that buckle would bust up my leg as I tend to move all about the bike when riding. I tried a rear fender box/bag setup once... oh boy, did it bug. That buckle would too.

I'm talking close up pictures of one on and off the bike. Sorry I should have said that. :banghead:

I made a lift strap for my kid's 50 Sr bike for free. All I did was cut off some of the excess off of a tie down. I used a lighter to melt the frayed end and mounted with existing hardware. I just poked holes through it. The tie downs are tough enough that you don't need an embedded washer.

I'm talking close up pictures of one on and off the bike. Sorry I should have said that. :)

I know Thomas... I was just harrassin' ya! :banghead: ... PM Dan, he'll tell ya where, when, why and send ya a pic!! I need to get one too...

DAAaaaaaannnnnn!

I am wonder how well they will hold up to use as a place to hook to tow strap.

I thought it would bug me too but in two years of riding with the strap, I have never felt the strap or the buckle. :)

It must be karma or the power of suggestion or something but.....

Last night I went to lift the bike onto the stand and SNAP!!! the male portion of the buckle broke! Oh, well, two years was not a bad run and I had a spare on hand.