Sign in to follow this  

Mental Tips for overcoming a wreck/close call

anyone got any tips on trying to mentaly relax after a close call? I have had a couple bad wrecks that linger in the back of my head and now it seems like if i have a close call i find myself all nervous and griping the handlebars too tight and second guessing the skills that i know I have already tackled. Example: close call on a jump almost nose dive but barely save it and clear the jump. For the rest of day I feel I ride too much in my comfort zone, If I wreck and can ride away I always try to hit it harder next lap and get those fears out before they gather in my head. But after my last bad wreck this past winter it doesnt matter if I nail it perfect the next lap, I still cant get relaxed until I come back and try again for a clean run the next day. I can nail it perfect and insted of feeling good and forgeting about the close call, i just feel like damn lucky i made that one :ride::moon::p Thats not how I used to be and now Im stuck frusterated trying to figure out how to overcome the mental block.. Has anyone else experienced this or have any advice I would greatly aprichiate any possitive input... Thanks guys

• Like 1

The best advice I can give you is to slow it down and just have fun until you regain the confidence and motivation you once had. You are an accident waiting to happen if you are riding out of your comfort zone, so back off the throttle a little. The anxiety you are experiencing is a reminder that life is finite. Take a break from competition and have fun playriding for a while. If a certain jump is scaring you, just roll it. Or go practice corners instead. I am not saying that you should slap on the training wheels and ride like an 80 year old man and roll 10 foot doubles, but take a little time to bond with your bike until you know exactly how it will react in a given situation, and your confidence and speed will come in time.

• Like 1

What I do is try to figure out WHAT caused said close call or wreck, if it's just a fluke and there is nothing I could have done different I just do my best to forget it. I haven't had anything haunt me yet. If it was backing off the gas too much on the jump face or something, I just make sure not to do it again.

• Like 1

What I do is try to figure out WHAT caused said close call or wreck, if it's just a fluke and there is nothing I could have done different I just do my best to forget it. I haven't had anything haunt me yet. If it was backing off the gas too much on the jump face or something, I just make sure not to do it again.

That is pretty solid advice right there. I have had some bad wrecks, and each one I analyze what went wrong (if I remember) and find the cause. Whatever that is, I make sure not to do it again. The rest of it, I block it all out. Push the fear to the back of your mind and don't think about crashing. Think of what you should be doing technique wise, and execute that the best you can. Visualization is a really good tool. I close my eyes and imagine riding long before I get to the track. It really helps when you do get there. You know what to do, it is just a matter of getting your body to follow through.

• Like 1

tnx a lot guys, all the advice is awesome and helps me understand a lil better of what to do next/ how to handle it... .after thinking about it I think Im just trying to hop back on and ride just like i did before the wreck and stay right there with my buddy's but what I need to do is just ride comfortably until i feel like im back 100% mentally, just cause the bones are now 100% dont mean the rest of me is... and like someone said before if im riding out of my comfort zone im just a accident waiting to happen... i guess i assumed i was all there ready to pick up and go just waiting for the doc to say ok but i now know theres more to recovering than just waiting for the doc to give you the ok to ride again.... tnx guys helpped me see it from a different point of veiw :p:ride:

The best advice I can give you is to slow it down and just have fun until you regain the confidence and motivation you once had. You are an accident waiting to happen if you are riding out of your comfort zone, so back off the throttle a little. The anxiety you are experiencing is a reminder that life is finite. Take a break from competition and have fun playriding for a while. If a certain jump is scaring you, just roll it. Or go practice corners instead. I am not saying that you should slap on the training wheels and ride like an 80 year old man and roll 10 foot doubles, but take a little time to bond with your bike until you know exactly how it will react in a given situation, and your confidence and speed will come in time.

Well written, great advice :)

when i have a close call instead of just thinking about it and letting it intimidate me i just try to concentrate as much as i can on the next obstacle. you wont remember until youre taking a break