Sign in to follow this  

What happened to my X?

Hey guys, here's my story. 2006 CRF450X. About 3,500 miles/150 hours. Fresh oil and air filter. Clean bike, never had any problems. Running strong out at the Moses Lake Dunes. I came up to a drop-off about 15mph. Wussed out and let off the gas and sank the front tire. Over the bars I go. No big deal, real soft sand. The bike flipped over and died. No high revs or clunking noises, just flopped over and died.

OK, dust myself off, pick up the bike and try the electric start. No crank. Try the kick...won't budge. Done for the day. Get home and pull the plug...dry. Still the engine won't budge. Pull the cam cover. Everything appears intact.

Anyone ever heard of this before? Didn't suck sand. I'm wondering is there any way some of the kicker or starter gears got jammed? How do I determine if the prob is in the engine or tranny? Any help greatly appreciated.:p

I was going to say you damaged the kick start mechanism. That would also keep the E-start from turning over.

Are you also in Neutral? Can you push the bike freely? Put it in 5th and try pushing the bike. If you can get the engine to turn over this way, you may be able to loosen things up. You don't need to worry about an engine problem, just to ease your mind.

Don't do what this guy said^^^^^^

I'm pretty sure (maybe someone else can chime in too) but these bikes don't like to be started this way. Plus I think it wears out the clutch pretty bad.

I am afraid to try and bump start in case something is jammed...crack the case. I tried to roll backwards in gear...locked. Possible a sprague(sp?) in the kickstart mechanism jammed? Or starter gear jammed against flywheel???

When you roll it back and fothe in gear, however little it will move, does the kickstart lever try to move back and forth as well? That will be your diagnosis for the kickstart mechanism being jammed up. If you don't have a manual, get one, it's not a difficult task digging into the kickstart mechanism.

Squirt a little atf in the spark plug hole if its a seized motor then this might help to get it unstuck. When you went over the bars did the bike got WOT upside down or on its side for very long? Might have toasted something if it did due to oil starvation.

Put it in gear, push back and forth to see if the motor is giving you compression, or if you are locked solid.

I bet if you bump it going backwards a bit, it will come free.

Have you tried kicking it over with spark plug out. When upside down if the intake valve was open after it stalled, gas might have filled in the cylinder and you have a hydrolic situation. Whatever you do don,t force it.

Not hydrolocked. Plug is out and dry. Still won't budge. Bike was at very low rpm's when I took the spill...fell over and died. Its not like I was at 10000 rpm when it quit. I've tried rocking the bike in gear...nothing. I did have a 5.3L chevy v-8 that appeared locked up after an accident. Spun the flywheel backwards with a prybar and "kertwang", the starter drive was somehow jammed into the flywheel teeth. Starter gear released and all was OK. I'm hoping maybe its something like this?!?

NOBODY has ever heard of this?

Check your timing marks, you could have f-ed the cam chain if your tensioner is going south and the impact caused it to jump or come off. You might be smacking a valve on the pistion causing the binding in the motor. I say pull the cam and see if the motor will turn that way you dont have to buy a right case cover gasket and all it cost you is time at this point.

Not to sound pessimistic but...how do I check cam timing if I can't turn over the engine? Cam chain is tight, could it really jump a tooth w/an automatic tensioner...No slack in chain?

Not to sound pessimistic but...how do I check cam timing if I can't turn over the engine? Cam chain is tight, could it really jump a tooth w/an automatic tensioner...No slack in chain?

Yup the auto tensioners are prone to wearing out especially since you have a 150hrs already. I would just pull the cam and see if the bottom end will turn. As a rule of thumb check whatever you can without throwing money at it first then start with the cheaper stuff that could be the problem.

I just traded for a supposedly rebuilt kx250 only to find out the bad crank seal I thought I had causing the motor to smoke was really only due to the fact that I needed to buy two 0.50cent cylinder head dowls the previous owner forgot to install when reassembling the head. I wasted 100 bucks on a engine gasket set and some new crank bearings and seals.....but my motor runs sweet now!:p

Not to state the obvious or anything, and this is pretty much of a poke-n-hope, but did the final drive chain get wadded up at the CS?

Have a friend try and move the bike backwards & forwards while you keep your hand on the kickstarter lever...can you feel any forces being applied to the lever? If so, the KS mechanism is locking the engine up.

Haven't had much time to mess with the bike. I do have a little bit of slack in the cam chain. Piston appears to be at TDC. Cannot move the cam either way at all. (I would think there would be a little play either way, taking up the cam chain slack). I'm leaning towards a jumped cam tooth...possible piston to valve contact. I do find this hard to believe because shouldn't the tensioner keep the slack out of the chain at all times? Anyone else have this happen?

Gonna pull the cam and see if this thing lets go. Also, do I really need a special tool to back off the cam chain adjuster? Thanks for all your input!

Haven't had much time to mess with the bike. I do have a little bit of slack in the cam chain. Piston appears to be at TDC. Cannot move the cam either way at all. (I would think there would be a little play either way, taking up the cam chain slack). I'm leaning towards a jumped cam tooth...possible piston to valve contact. I do find this hard to believe because shouldn't the tensioner keep the slack out of the chain at all times? Anyone else have this happen?

Gonna pull the cam and see if this thing lets go. Also, do I really need a special tool to back off the cam chain adjuster? Thanks for all your input!

Yes the tensioner should do this...but as time goes by they fail. Its to uncommon to check the timing on a high hour 250 and 450 and see that the cam is one tooth off. My 2004 crf 250 did this. Anyway if pulling the cam to see if the bottom end rotates dosnt work then my next option would be to pull the right side cover and take a look.

Trans gears, 93 KDX 200 2 smoke. Took a spill in 3rd, got up to start the bike again, i usually left it in gear and kicked it (super easy to start) kicked, but no movement of the kick starter...***?? Tried to click down, stuck, I think in the end I just ended up forcing it (much younger and dumber) ended up popping it out. Just a thought.