Sign in to follow this  

Noise Rules in King County

A parts person at a local dealership told me that King County is working on rules that would limit ORV noise on private property to 58 dB. Also severe penalties!

Anyone heard about this and have more information?

i'd like to see them enforce that in my area, near boeing field where jumbo cargo jets shake the hair out of your head when they take off.

That's gonna be tough to enforce. 58db is like normal office background noise. My DRZ makes more noise than that with the key off.

i cut a fart once that was 63db

That can happen if you have recently replaced your o-rings and had the gap set! :p

I went to a sound seminar a couple of years ago and the guy that did the seminar had a db meter on the entire time. The db reading averaged from 65 to 80 db's and mind you this was a group of about 10 people with no amplified sound. So 58 db is completely unreasonable not to mention impossible to meet.

Steve

City limits of Yelm has this in place. Buddy of mine has some property there and the sheriff came out and shut down his trail making during the middle of the day saying that the db limit in town is 50.

City limits of Yelm has this in place. Buddy of mine has some property there and the sheriff came out and shut down his trail making during the middle of the day saying that the db limit in town is 50.

That's ridiculous, 50 db is the equivalent of a quiet suburban neighborhood with no traffic. The cop's patrol car would have broken the law driving down the street and pulling in the driveway. I would definitely but politely ask to see the officers calibrated db meter and ask him if he was trained to any sort of national standard in its use. :p

That's gonna be tough to enforce. 58db is like normal office background noise. My DRZ makes more noise than that with the key off.

Your lawn mower makes more noise than that... so does that stupid kid that keeps coming over and riding in the back yard! :p

All you can do in King county is eat granola, feed the squirells and read the latest anti Bush book.

All you can do in King county is eat granola, feed the squirells and read the latest anti Bush book.

AHAHAH +1 :p

A parts person at a local dealership told me that King County is working on rules that would limit ORV noise on private property to 58 dB. Also severe penalties!

Anyone heard about this and have more information?

They had a 55 db limit they tried to push through in Thurston county. Basically, the law exempt everything from it except OHV's. Indirectly, it was a ban on OHV's even on private property. But made to look like just a noise deal. Do you have any idea how quiet 55 db is? A normal coversation between 2 people (excluding Billie Mayes from the Oxi Clean commericals) is 60db!

The problem is enforcement of this law. It requires a specially trained certified person to perform the check and with spendy equipment. So not much more became of it.

Your lawn mower makes more noise than that... so does that stupid kid that keeps coming over and riding in the back yard! :p

They will exempt those items, everything excpet OHV's. And if you Do get an OHV that makes less noise, they will ban the "repetitive" noise, ie a kid on a track. Seen it already.

Well then some folks with knowledge about sound need to testify to the County Council. IMO if they specify noise it must apply to everything that makes noise.

So just start your lawn mower and let it idle in the front yard to mask the noise of your bike as you ride in the back yard.

From http://science.howstuffworks.com/question124.htm:

* Near total silence - 0 dB

* A whisper - 15 dB

* Normal conversation - 60 dB

* A lawnmower - 90 dB

* A car horn - 110 dB

* A rock concert or a jet engine - 120 dB

* A gunshot or firecracker - 140 dB

o db = near total silence

Nope, zero = total silence :p

15 db = whisper

If can can afford a meter that can measure done to 15 db, please buy me a new bike.

All levels depends on how close you are to the noise source.

some real life examples:

427 Chevy @ 5000 rpm with uncapped headers, in hydroplane at six feet, 90 degrees to crankshaft = 126 db.

Typical rock concert @ 85 feet in front on stage at floor level with floor empty of people = 108-120 db.

Typical rock concert on stage = 120-130 db.

My Craftsman 19hp mower, WFO with blade engaged = 102db at 18 inches / 45 degrees from mower deck at 24 inched above the ground.

Highest number I've seen = 136 db from a Gauss 15 inch speaker at 12 inches while eating over 1000 watts. (test done remote/nobody in the room, speaker cone travel measered about 1.75 inches)

Jet engine = don't go there, if you want a loud number, make it up a big one and if your sick enough you can prove it correct.