Sign in to follow this  

`98 YZ250 Carb Help needed

Need confirmation of the model of carb on the 1998 YZ250. Google searches are turning up some weird results.

I believe it is the Keihin PWK-38S Air Stryker

Correct?

If not, what is the model?

I need to order a carb rebuild kit today and would appreciate any assistanc in identifying the carb model.

It would if I had the carb in habd to compare to the pics, but if I had the carb in hand, I could read the infor off of it. It could be the non airstryker pwk or the pwm. that's my conundrum. I'll go get it after work and look it up

Keihin PWK 38mm Airstriker was first installed in 2000 model. It featured TPS (Thottle Position Sensor) and Solenoid valve (Power Jet).

Ther are easilly recognized by the wires coming from the carb.

The 1998 carb dosen´t have any of those.

Many of the manuals were wrong for that bike and the 97. Dont be surprised to see a Mikuni carb listed (incorrectly) for that bike.

This issue is just one of the downsides of having a project to do and having to drive 27 miles to get to my bike to look at the part in question.

The area I live in is not the safest one around so there is no way I can keep my bike at my apartment. As a result, I never have the parts "in hand" to verify things like this so I have to rely on you guys to provide the information if I forget to write it down or have a picture or some other way to record the information I need to refer to. Either that, or drive 54 miles round trip to get a model number off a part, lol.

My resto project is on hold right now because I have encountered a couple issues

1 - When I received my cylinder back from Millennium Technologies, all 6 cylinder head stud holes are clogged up and a couple other screw holes are clogged up because they never removed all the grime out of the holes. I used one of those picks you can get at Autozone in those little 3-packs to break up the grime and debris and then blew the debris out the holes using canned air, but the threads are still clogged or something because the studs will only screw in about 3/8ths of an inch. I need to find someone with a tap to go in and freshen/clean up the threading.

2 - I switched parts suppliers from Bike Bandit to Downers Grove Yamaha who is always cheaper and "normally" is far faster to process my order and ship the parts. In this case, I have an important part on order and they have been processing the order for 10+business days so far. Of course, it is a base stud collar that goes in before the cylinder and piston and blah, blah, blah...