Stator change now hard to kick over...answers?

I wanted to change the stock stator on my 98 RM 250 to a high output stator in order to add a headlight to the bike. I bought a flywheel puller and removed the flywheel easy enough. I removed the four bolts that held the old stator to the bike. Removed old stator and compared it to new stator. Looked identical. Installed new stator and flywheel checking for binding and clearance between black stator box and flywheel. Looked good. Put cover back on. ? I then went to kick the bike over and it was difficult to turn over. :ride: It goes through the rotations, but feels as though something is dragging, even when I go to kick it over very slowly. I don't believe the problem is due to ignition timing. Any ideas? I am a bit surprised that this is happening because I took my time while installing.

dumb question but did you check to make sure the timing mark lined up right if its out just a little it could cause problems, also could be marked wrong if its aftermarket, i would contact the manufacturer and make sure it dosnt need to be rotated a little. even 1 or 2 degrees can make a huge diferance in timing advance or lag and can cause dificulty starting could be the reeds or plug to? i would start with the stator first since it ran fine before you changed it.