Sign in to follow this  

Went shopping for a new bike, and came home with Orange again!

I sold my other KTM last weekend, and decided to go take a look at all the other brands. Everybody is blowing out the 08's for cheap.

Ended up buying a new 08 450sx. Not just because they gave me the $1200 in parts, but because it just looked better, and felt better than the rest of them.

What all do I need to do to get this bike set up? I'm 6' tall, and weigh about 185. Most of my riding will be trails, & dunes, but I plan on riding track when ever I get a chance. I'm mostly curious on the suspension setup for this model. Also, I bought it Saturday night, and the battery in it, doesn't seem like enough power. It wouldn't even start Sunday morning, until I jumped it. Could it be a bad battery, or is it the dealer didn't have it charged fully?

Last question, is did I make the right choice, or should I have gone with the 09 for 2 grand more? All of the other makes were within a few hundred dollars of the KTM, except the Honda. They wanted $500 more for the 08 Honda.

Thanks

McCall2009002.jpg

The springs should be ballpark for your weight. The first thing I would do is lower the fork oil volume by 15ml in each fork. This will make them much more plush without affecting the bottom control. KTM should have spec'd them this way.

The stock battery for the SXF is only a 3amp/hr battery. It is pretty darn weak for the bike IMO. A 4amph/hr battery is optional and is usually with the SXF. The XCF comes with the 4amp/hr battery in it.

Your dealer probably charged the battery when the bike was first uncrated (how long ago was that?) and the battery has been sitting since. It will definitely need some time to build up a good charge (if it can still hold one). If you aren't too concerned about an extra two pounds, a Yuasa YTZ-7S has about twice the cold cranking amps as the stock battery (this is the stock battery in almost every other e-start dirt bike). It is just heavier. I also put the Trail Tech +8oz flywheel weight on my 505 SXF. It did not affect the power in any really noticeable way, but it did make my 505 start easier and it boosts stator output to keep more charge in the battery.

Another thing to make it run/start better is to change the spark plug. Your bike has a goofy twin electrode plug in it that in a word: SUCKS! Replace it with an NGK CR9EIX as soon as you can. This will also make the bike start much easier.

Most people swear by the JD Jetting kit for any KTM. Yours included.

For the price difference I would have gone for the '08 too. Although the suspension on the '09 is much better stock, $2000 is a lot of money. You can spend half of that on your '08s suspension and have something that is way better than the '09 and still have money left over.

As for the sizing for you, it all depends on what you like. I'm 6'4" so I also went with a SUB mounted Scotts stabilizer (raises the bars another 3/4") and an Enduro Engineering tall seat. However, I can ride the bike faster on a MX track with the stock seat. I think that the stocker is more uncomfortable so I stand up more (like when I actually should) and can ride my SXF more aggressively.

• Like 1

I run a lithion Ion battery called the "speed-cell" in my KTM 'tard that only weighs .8# and is suppossed to last 10-15 years. It saved my 6# over the Yuasa that was stock on the bike. Starts my hi compression 654cc single no problem.

If I had an electric start MX bike that is what I would buy for sure.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. They put the battery on the charger for about 30 minutes while they did the PDI on it. I was back there when they did it. That was the 1st time it had been charged. I called the dealer today, and he's got another battery on the charger for me right now. He said I could pick it up after work tonight. I think I'll pick up that new plug also.

The first thing I would do is lower the fork oil volume by 15ml in each fork. This will make them much more plush without affecting the bottom control. KTM should have spec'd them this way.

If I may jump in here, ... with respect to the fork oil height recommendation, ... would this apply to my 08' 505XC-F as well ? if so can you remove oil w/o removing the forks ? with a syringe ?

Thanks and sorry for the H-jack :p

I think the springs are a step too light, add the ride gear and you are 200++..got to have the right springs for the linkless to work right.

I think youve made a good choice with the '08.

I have an '07, and in my experiences with the bike, if it is going to sit longer then a week without being run, you should put a trickle charger on it. Otherwise the bike just simply wont spin over fast enough to fire up. It sounds like it will, but youll just run your battery dead. Or if it sits for a little while, 10 minutes on a regular charger works for me. Spins over quick, and fires right up.

I just have a little 6 amp charger, and if the bike the wont pretty much instantly fire up, I stick the charger on my bike for 10-15 minutes and Im good to go. :p

• Like 1

If I may jump in here, ... with respect to the fork oil height recommendation, ... would this apply to my 08' 505XC-F as well ? if so can you remove oil w/o removing the forks ? with a syringe ?

Thanks and sorry for the H-jack :p

You can. If you turn the bike upside down...:ride:

It´s sooo much easier to remove those forks from the bike. Get a syringe and a little hose for it. Around 6 " long. Be careful not to spill the oil when you lay down the forks ,which you have to do to get to the oil.

By the way - i don´t know if the oil removal is needed on XCF forks...

• Like 1

I agree if you saved 2000$ and got the 1200$ in parts, go spend 800$ and get your suspension set up totally for you.

Other then that....jet kit....and maybe a cycra powerflow kit?

• Like 1