Sign in to follow this  

Husaberg FE450 Vs. TE450

With all the great deals out there now I am going to bite the bullet and get a new bike. I was set on looking for a left over 2008 TE450 and came across a left over 2008 Husaberg FE450 for $5000. Does anyone have experience with these? How do they compare with the TE450 performance and maintenance wise?

Both are premo bikes, Huseberg has some history of snivels but that has been behind them for several years, bigest difference to me is the berg has a very wide ratio trans, the Husky is a close ratio, both are 6 speed but the Husky is premo for a racy enviroment, berg is better for a more like dual sport where you might want to go down a road for a while without screaming the engine, understand the husky will go 90+ but at 60 its buzzing more than your going to do for miles at a time

How about maintenance is one more intensive than the other?

How about maintenance is one more intensive than the other?

I have never done valves on a modern 'berg but I guarantee you they aren't as easy as a Husky. No valves are easier to adjust than Husky.

Greg

I was in the same boat couple weeks ago. I really wanted to try FI, that only leaves the Husky.

The Husky is street legal and the berg would take $300-$500 to make legal.

So I got the Husky TE450 for $5500 otd with the rebate. Great bike

Modern berg uses the head from a modern (XC4 engine) KTM, about the same procedure to check valves as Husky to change a shim is maybe 5 minutes more work as you slide the rocker shaft out. Probubly the second simplest to work on head out there. Maybe on the plus side the XC4/Berg uses stainless steel valves on the exhaust side, Ti on the intake where Husky is all Ti, Difference there Ti being more prone to damage if dirt gets in. On a Husky with the FCR carb quite important to run an Uptite filter on the carb vents to keep those Ti valves from being trashed

I have never done valves on a modern 'berg but I guarantee you they aren't as easy as a Husky. No valves are easier to adjust than Husky.

Greg

Modern berg uses the head from a modern (XC4 engine) KTM, about the same procedure to check valves as Husky to change a shim is maybe 5 minutes more work as you slide the rocker shaft out. Probubly the second simplest to work on head out there.

Note that this applies only to the '09 Berg, while '08 and earlier Bergs have the 'old fashioned' screw type valve adjustors.

The burg has no rev limiter on it. Seen one only weeks old go bang with a missed shift. I do like the feel of the bikes though & i find they shift much smoother then my 07 TE 450. In a drag race to 70 mph it was close but the Husky was faster off the line.

I have a 650 Husaberg with almost 200 hours and was riding a 450 Husky this weekend. The Husaberg shares many parts with the KTM and the build quality of the bike is lots better than the Husky. The one I was riding had been in and out of the shop for weeks with major issues.

Maintenance on the Husaberg is easy. The valves are just like the old Honda XR.

you need to ride both. very different bikes, both awesome, both very reliable and easy to maintain. the Husaberg has to be geared down for woods, the husky needs to be geared up slightly too, but what''s left is a close ratio husky that is sweet in the woods and a wide ratio berg that is light n fast

the berg is lighter and kick starts easy, the husky has more power and that close ratio tranny is just too good in the trails.

very different feeling and riding bikes, best to try em both.

$5000 for a new 2008 berg is unbelievable. that is a great price. I just heard the 2009 Husaberg Fe450e won the Dirt Rider off road 450 shoot out this year.