Sign in to follow this  

Sand City 8 Team Race

How did the race go for everybody?

My team mate and I did pretty well (I think) on the first lap. Ran the whoops and sand washes pretty fast! I had a great time! :p Second lap?......pure hell for me. I ran out of mojo at remote fuel and had to dig deep to finish. Ran out of water in my camel pack about that point too. Pretty sure I had some dehydration issues. That will never happen again. Dumped my bike about 7 or 8 times and finished dead last I'm sure thanks to me. My buddy didn't seem to mind, but I'm sure he was getting frustrated waiting for me towards the end. I just couldn't hang, I wrenched my back and crunched my left shoulder pretty hard. I was completely inaffective at around 85-90 miles.

I think I'm going to run the Sportsmans lap from now until I'm in shape to do two. I did improve from the Oreana race, so I think I'll keep on truckin' with it.

That was a long race, and physically demanding. I was tired at the end.

You beat everyone that gave up after 1 lap. :p

We did pretty good I think ... even with getting turned around a couple of times. I think this was my best race ever.

Second lap?......pure hell for me. I ran out of mojo at remote fuel and had to dig deep to finish. Ran out of water in my camel pack about that point too. Pretty sure I had some dehydration issues.

You weren't the guy with the homemade 'camelback' were you? The bottle duct taped to the back of the chest protector with a hose running out of it? I saw it laying off to the side on the second lap, somewhere after the fuel pits I think.

Pretty funny stuff. :p:ride:

Overall I felt pretty good, I wrote a race report over on the Sidra forum. The cold weather this time of year is much better for me than the 'heat' later on. I overheat pretty easily.

Overall I felt pretty good, I wrote a race report over on the Sidra forum. The cold weather this time of year is much better for me than the 'heat' later on. I overheat pretty easily.

I was freezing at the start ... but was dang glad I had on minimal clothing. I heated up pretty fast with the washes and whoops.

I generally like the heat, and handle it better than most people, so I made my own heat wave by leaving my jacket on (plus 2 jersey layers). I was fine for the first 30 miles-ish, then it got freakin' hot!!!! I had sweat running down the inside of my helmet, which is probably normal for some people, but very very rarely happens to me. So after the first lap, I took my jacket off while someone else was helping fuel my bike. Then it turned cold again, and I was soaked, so I froze my azz off for the next 30 miles or so before i dried out and it got warm again.

To add to the fun, when i put my helmet and goggles back on, sweat squeezed out of the foam and ran all over the inside of the goggles, severely hampering my vision. I finally stopped and wiped them off at check 3, and life was much better after that.

I was freezing at the start ... but was dang glad I had on minimal clothing.

Smart llamas agree, the less clothing you have on, the better. :p

How did the race go for everybody?

Hey rojo, what do you drive? Someone with an xr650 in a beater blue compact truck parked next to us, and I wondered if that might have been you, but we were gone before that person finished. We are in the white tundra with the giant tradesman style cabover camper shell.

I was fine for the first 30 miles-ish, then it got freakin' hot!!!! I had sweat running down the inside of my helmet, which is probably normal for some people, but very very rarely happens to me.

For me it was one of the washes on the way in... the sun was out and it was very warm. I was hot, sweating like crazy and starting to think about dehydration. I did feel it cool down as we got closer to home check. Probably micro-climates in the washes. Definitely got cold after the pits... it hailed or snowed or something there for a few minutes. The 60mph windchill in the fast washes didn't help much :ride::p

This was the first race I have switched goggles in the pits. Actually felt pretty good (they were also brand new).

This was the first race I have switched goggles in the pits. Actually felt pretty good (they were also brand new).

I should have switched, but my goggles were fine when I took them off. It wasn't until I put them back on that they got all messed up. Doh!

Anyone else pick the line that included the cliff dropoff in one of the deeper washes? It was one of those spots with multiple lines, and one of them led to 5-6' cliff with a flat landing in the wash. Tresa must have liked it so much the first lap when I was leading that she took the same route the 2nd lap when she was leading. :p

I should have switched, but my goggles were fine when I took them off. It wasn't until I put them back on that they got all messed up. Doh!

Anyone else pick the line that included the cliff dropoff in one of the deeper washes? It was one of those spots with multiple lines, and one of them led to 5-6' cliff with a flat landing in the wash. Tresa must have liked it so much the first lap when I was leading that she took the same route the 2nd lap when she was leading. :p

Umm ... yeah ... sorry 'bout that. :moon: At least I had the love to look behind me to make sure you were ok, lol. Jeez I felt terrible for that ... once I saw you made it I couldn't help but shake my head and wonder what kinda gf I am to lead you off a cliff drop. :ride:

I was even trying to avoid hitting it on the second lap but realized too late I was headed right for it. :moon:

once I saw you made it I couldn't help but shake my head and wonder what kinda gf I am to lead you off a cliff drop. :ride:

Indeed. I was lucky to survive it. If you want me to stay healthy enough to keep fixin' yer bike, yer gonna have to be more careful to keep me on trails within my ability level. :p

I hit it on the 1st lap. My brother was just off to the left a little and had a nice 2 to 3 foot drop off so when I saw it I kinda went in to panic mode and hit it totally wrong, went flying into the bars and totaly knocked the wind out of me. I couldn't breath for about 15 seconds. I rode that area very conservative the second loop and never even say where it was.

Indeed. I was lucky to survive it. If you want me to stay healthy enough to keep fixin' yer bike, yer gonna have to be more careful to keep me on trails within my ability level. :p

:ride::moon: :moon:

DEAL. :lol:

I hit it on the 1st lap. My brother was just off to the left a little and had a nice 2 to 3 foot drop off so when I saw it I kinda went in to panic mode and hit it totally wrong, went flying into the bars and totaly knocked the wind out of me. I couldn't breath for about 15 seconds. I rode that area very conservative the second loop and never even say where it was.

Too bad there wasn't someone out there getting video of that drop. I bet I looked like a spaz on the first lap ... when I landed I bottomed out and decided it would be a good idea to accidently slip my food over the rear brake and slam it down. Talk about a hard landing, lol. Good thing I pulled in the clutch to avoid stalling and just falling over. :p

The second lap I landed much better ... even though I was trying to avoid it. :ride:

Hey rojo, what do you drive? Someone with an xr650 in a beater blue compact truck parked next to us, and I wondered if that might have been you, but we were gone before that person finished. We are in the white tundra with the giant tradesman style cabover camper shell.

That guy was my friends teammate . Chris said the course killed him ! I guess chris was waiting 10-15 min at each stop. He figures they finished dead last.

That guy was my friends teammate . Chris said the course killed him ! I guess chris was waiting 10-15 min at each stop. He figures they finished dead last.

Yeah, that was me. :p Yeah, the coarse killed me, although I thought I did okay on the first lap. Poor Chris waited and waited especially at the last check. He even back tracked the coarse a ways to see if I was okay (I wasn't).

You weren't the guy with the homemade 'camelback' were you? The bottle duct taped to the back of the chest protector with a hose running out of it? I saw it laying off to the side on the second lap, somewhere after the fuel pits I think.

Pretty funny stuff. :p:ride:

Wasn't mine, although if I would have seen it at around the 90 mile mark, I would have picked up to see if there was any water in it!

Yeah! That was me and my team mate Chris. Was that cute little blonde gal jat? I should've came over and said hi, but I couldn't remember your bike numbers. I'll catch you guys at one of the next ones. :p