Sign in to follow this  

My first ride in Baja.

I just got back yesterday from riding a week in Baja and thought I'd share with you a few of the details and a bunch of pictures. This will be a bit long. :wink:

Summary of the ride it was a 955 mile loop in N. Baja. We crossed the border at Tecate and started our ride at Santa Veronica. Rode and stayed in motels all the way around.

Monday - rode 200 miles (11:18hrs) to San Felipe-Sea of Cortez

Tuesday - rode 110 miles (6:30hrs) to Gonzaga Bay - Skipped Matomi Canyon :ride:

Wednesday - rode 204 miles (11:48hrs) to Catavina

Thursday - rode 167 miles (12hrs) to San Quintin-Pacific Ocean

Friday - rode 113 miles (7:35hrs) to Santo Tomas

Saturday - rode 135 miles (8:56hrs) back to Santa Veronica / Hongo.

PM me for gpx file if interested.

Bike Prep - I missed this trip last year because my engine had issues and I didn't want to chance it going out down there. I had ATK rebuild my engine and do the reliability upgrades. I got it back a couple months before this ride and it has been flawless. For gearing I ran 14 on the front and 50 in the rear. I think a 15 would have been better but there were some instances where I needed that low gearing. But I could have used the 15 better for increased gas range and some riding on pavement. I sent my radiator guard out to get a couple cracks fixed but didn't get it back in time. I won't make that mistake again as I broke the stock plastic guard and the sharp edges rubbed a hole in my radiator. I also dremelled a couple slots in my fenders so I could add 1/2" zip ties. I put a hd rear tube on the front fender and my 10lbs of tools on the rear fender. It worked great but the ties did break a couple times. I brought extras and tethered everything just in case. Lastly for my Garmin Quest GPS, I bought an external antenna and mounted it with velcro on my bar pad so I didn't have to use the flimsy Quest antenna. It work great never fell off once. I also, used a cell phone charger and converter it to a 12V to 5V source for my GPS on my bike. That worked great too with no issues.

It was a 13 hour trip to get to Mexico for us. We car pooled 5 of us to Lake Elsinor where we picked up our sixth guy. Using one vehicle was way cheaper this way. Besides the prep stuff, the whole trip was only $490 which included sat phone, gas, motels, car insurance, food, etc..

Baja%20017.jpg

Picture of my Cannondale at a gate between Santa Veronica and San Felipe

Baja%20034.jpg

This is right after the dry lake bed and whoops. Me on the left and Terry my friend and our guide. Notice I'm wearing jeans. I got all the way down there and my riding pants, jacket and socks some how didn't make it. :p Luckily I had a enough gear to make things work and the jeans were really not all that bad, especially having the pockets for a camera and chap stick and our stickers we handed out to everyone.

Baja%20039.jpg

From San Felipe to Gonzaga Bay the tide was out so we rode about 30 miles down the coast of the Sea of Cortez. Our guide warned us to watch out for really soft mud (gray water) areas so I did but he didn't and got stuck. LOL If you look behind my bike way back there you will see where not to go. It took 45 minutes to get him out.

Baja%20055.jpg

Making our way to Gonzaga Bay. Very rocky, dusty but beautiful.

Baja%20059.jpg

Picture of the six of us. Me on the left Jim, Bob, Josh, Sean, Terry, and Kirk.

Baja%20065.jpg

Picture of our stickers. Top left. Baja Motomochilla

Baja%20066.jpg

Sunrise in Gonzaga Bay. We were greeted with dive bombing Pelicans and pods of Dolphines that morning. Very remote but extremely beautiful view.

Baja%20073.jpg

Coco's Corner - As you guys know Coco had his other leg amputated last year but seems to be doing very well. Sadly while he was gone people trashed his place and stole all kinds of things. We gave him a few dollars while there. Make sure you donate in Coco's thread.

Baja%20081.jpg

We rode Horse Piss canyon and started getting into the cactus.

Baja%20082.jpg

Ripped my plastic rad guard off because it rubbed a hole in my radiator. Used horse poop to fix the leak. Notice the mud from riding along the Sea of Cortez.

Baja%20084.jpg

Rested at the Little Oasis, Met up with numerous riders (about 10 of them) from the UTMA whom Terry knew well. Other than them, we passed no one else in 950 miles of trails.

Baja%20089.jpg

In Catavina we opted to go cheap and stayed at the pink motel.

Baja%20096.jpg

Took a side 2.5 hour trip to the mission. Serious rocks there. Here is Bob on his DRZ.

Baja%20099.jpg

Did about 30 miles of pavement and stopped for lunch at this resturant/home. Very good food.

Baja%20104.jpg

Met a friend on the trail. Yes we just had to poke it with a stick.

Baja%20106.jpg

View going down the hill toward San Quintin. Picture of my GPS, Antenna, waypoint chart, and my custom tool bag tie strap attachment. lol

Baja%20108.jpg

That's all for pictures for now. My camera ran out of power and I didn't bring the charger.

My Cannondale did very well. Other than having to carry gas a couple times because of the 2.5 gallon tank I really had very little issues. I had a radiator leak, one rear flat from a nail, laid my bike over about half a dozen times bending my hand guards all over the place. Better them than my levers. And my bars are slightly bent. Bike ran flawless even it was down to 1/3 full of water once or twice.

Total miles 955

Total moving time 34hrs.

Moving Avg 28mph

We rode through about 6 Federally check points, only two checked our stuff. Absolutely no signs of violence or trouble at all. Everyone was very friendly and helpful down there and I can't wait to go again some day.

• Like 2

Very nice report! And who would have thought of using horse poop to fix a radiator. I would have done something really dumb like wedge a red vine in it. By the way, what's that in the bush, a chupacabra? :p I think I see an eyeball or something.

Very nice report! And who would have thought of using horse poop to fix a radiator. I would have done something really dumb like wedge a red vine in it. By the way, what's that in the bush, a chupacabra? :p I think I see an eyeball or something.

I think it is a Diamondback. If you look under the word "stick" and go straight down you see part of the rattles. Under the word "just" about 2/3rds the way down you see the head, eyes and black tongue.

Absolutely no signs of violence or trouble at all. Everyone was very friendly and helpful down there and I can't wait to go again some day.
Worth repeating!!!

Great report.

Glad to hear you had a great time. Nice 'lil' ride for your first trip down.

great report. can't wait till wednesday when I'm heading to SF.:p

I'm glad that you guys didn't have any sort of trouble and made it back to tell. Seems that lately all you hear about is the violence down there.

Thanks for sharing.:p

cannondale...nice. Any more pictures of that snake? Where was it? Unusual -- all brown rattlesnake.