Sign in to follow this  

Has this happened to any YZ250 riders?

Finished rebuild of top end and bearings and seals on my 06 YZ250, and took it out to track last weekend. While breaking in engine, I noticed a sort of heavy vibration while riding at mid to higher rpm's. Thought it was the pipe, but it has new orings in header pipe, and it was tight and no movement at all when I checked it. Wraped pipe springs, not it! Then I notice this crack in my Devol rad cover left side. Did not fall, before or after rebuild. It just cracked??? http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b263/techmc/101_0226.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b263/techmc/101_0227.jpg

1. Has anyone else that has devol guards crack like this with out falling? :p They are two years old, and no hard fall on them yet.

2. Can they be fixed, or are they too weak?

3. What causes the cooling fins to bend like in this picture when they are cover by tank scrouds and not high pressure cleaned? http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b263/techmc/101_0228.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b263/techmc/101_0229.jpg

:ride:

techmc

Haven’t noticed anything with my Devols but I'm going to look now

No I can't say I've heard of this before but then again I don't have anything devol on my bikes ever. Since my ridding friend know's him from way back in the 80's and they race the same class we make it a point not to have anything devol on our bikes.

I still laugh when he tells me the story about how he bought a seat cover from devol once for his ATK and took at lighter to the devol wording and like it rubbed off easy. Show up at the track the next weekend and devol is all hey isn't that my seat cover or something and my friend says he can't have any jinx'ing his ride. You want to get devol going say the words RACE TECH hehe I'll make sure and let him know of your disappointment.

No he's not a good buddy I just like letting him know I don't like his stuff according to my friend he wasn't the one who actually designed those rad cages so other guy did he started the shop with back in the 80's did.

My Devol guards are holding up. Then again you do have to ride to crash don't you? :p

Check you head and cylinder bolts to make sure they aren't the source of vibration or have worked themselves loose from the vibration (which in turn makes it worse).

I'd say weld it or make a doubler with a piece of aluminum and some rivits.

Those radiator fins are soo thin that they can be bent by just brushing then with a knuckle while rebuilding the top end or blowing compressed air through them. Not a big deal just straighten them with a screw driver or finger nail if it bothers you.

I cant say if the previous owner had crashed them. But mine were cracked in the same place.

They looked pretty weak with that flimsy rear support at 90 a degree angle so i had 1/8 alluminum welded to the sides and made 3/16 supports from the rear to the tank bolts for some serious abuse.

Im Sponsored direct by Devol and Im really good friends with Garrett Devol. You could call them at 800-DEVOL99 He might replace them if your lucky. I had some do that along time ago but it was normally from a good crash. It wouldn't do anything to the radiator but the brace wouldgive instead. Garrett has always been good at replacing them for me but I have also been with them for over 18 years! It's worth a shot.

I had a set of Devol on my 250F do that.. Granted I had been off a couple times, but they were broken like you describe.. But Ive been running the Devol (slightly modded by me) on my 250 2t for a long time, with several less than small get offs.. Mine seem to be holding up well... :p