Sign in to follow this  

ATC2K helmet cam wide angle conversion!!

hi,

I was sick of the crappy angle of view and the 1.5m zoom in of the original atc2k cam lens so I converted it to a wide angle one! it is simply a strap on lens from normal digi cams but works perfect...I went out to the track yesterday to check it out...I also had to break in the bike because of a new top end so I'm only riding half throttle:ride:

Bjoern

Kudos to you meng. My temptation to battle would over power me.

Now lets see a video WFO :p

Isn't there some controversy about the break-in process? A lot of people believe a MX track is the best way to break-in a 4 stroke engine (excessive acceleration/deceleration *engine brake*)

...believe me it was hard to not give it full throttle for 1h you want to jump everything but have to hold back...but next weekend it is going to be a different track (pax trax) and it is broken in now;)

More info on the upgrade~!

I've the same camera and would like to try to improve it.

...all you need is a wide angle lens for a digital camera or camcorder, I bought that one: http://www.amazon.com/Bower-M-Power-large-0-38x-magnetic/dp/B000M7QE6A

it has the right diameter! then you have to buy either a 40mm PVC pipe or, like I did a 1 1/4" flexible PVC pipe (I got it from Lowes), the wide angle lens fits perfectly into the opening, also that pipe came with 2 hose clamps on each side, so you can secure the lens and the pipe onto the camera.

the flexible pipe needs some cutting to make it fit right I have some pics to show what has to be cut, basically a hole for the mic and an openig for the display and the buttons! then just put everything together and voi la you have a wide angle atc2k:ride: !!

the good thing about this mod is that you don't have to destroy the camera housing at all, like some of the other conversions...also if you like the mic to record better you have to remove the mic cover on the under sinde and remove the rubber boot from the microphone that will emprove the sound...the only thing that is lost by then it will be less waterproof.

IMG_3725.jpg

IMG_3726.jpg

IMG_3727.jpg

IMG_3728.jpg

IMG_3729.jpg

IMG_3730.jpg

bjoern,

thanks for the instructions. i got your email response from the youtube comment i sent and yes it is very helpful.

so basically it is just a matter of setting up the wide angled lens so it sits in front of the lens on the atc2k?

in regards to buying the lens, do you know which lens is best, in terms of the 'small' or 'large' model?

cheers

brad

Hello Brad,

good that you got the respose and yes it is really all about finding the best way to set up the lens in front of the atc2k! i would get the large one, cause i don't know if the small one would fit! and the large one is pretty much the same diameter than the rest of the cam.

Bjoern