Opinions on rear spring

Hello All,

So I finally bought my mm tape measure, and properly set the sag on my bike.

It's been a while since I've been on a scale, but I'm around 190 w/o gear. Bike is 575mm unloaded. I ride singletrack and fireroads in the desert.

After I set my race sag to 108mm (467), the free sag is 60 (515).

I also measured the length of the spring, and it's ~615mm, of which I believe the max spec is 595.

Took the bike out yesterday, and it feels really nice, but "it's only as good as I know".

I talked to racetech today, and they said I was good with the .47s in the front, and the 5.5 in the rear.

I think I may need to go to the 5.4, as I'm out of spec in a couple of places.

My real question is, am I close enough on the springs, or would I be better off with the 5.4? I'm just not experienced enough in this to know how close is "close enough".

Thanks for the tips!

JC

Your at 190 and considering going LOWER on the stock springs???

Did Honda start putting a heavier spring on the X ??

The 05' had a spring good for about 165 lbs.

So here's my logic....this is straight off of racetech.

5.5 kg/mm (stock)

Ideal Rider Weight for the Stock Spring

200 lbs or 91 kg

When I read the owners manual, it says:

"With the spring pre-load set to obtain the proper race sag, the rear suspension should sag 0.4 to 1.0 in (10 to 25mm). If the rear of your CRF sags more that 1.0 in (25mm) from its own weight, the spring is too stiff for your weight. It is not compressed enough, even then though you have the proper race sag adjustment. As a result, the rear suspension will not extend as far as it should."

So, I'm just not sure if I'm close enough with the above mentioned specs, or if I'll see an appreciable difference by dropping a hundred on a new rear spring.

I appreciate it!

JC

It should sag 4" with you on it, and 1" by itself.

The stock spring would not work for me because if I dialed 4" of race sag into it, it would not have any static sag, plus I had to compress the stock spring past its lower length limit to get the 4".

If you can set it up to sag 4" with you on it, and 1" with you off of it (compared to the total free droop length) AND have it not be swapping all over in back, you can use the stocker I guess.