Sign in to follow this  

bad compression/valve adjustment?

I have a 1996 Xr250R that I have had for a year now and decided to remone the decompression lever/cable.I never used it and i'm only #130, does this mean my compression is weak or do the valves need adjustment? the bike runs good and usually starts on about 6 tries when cold.The bike is stock as far as I can tell and has never left me stranded.any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have a 1996 Xr250R that I have had for a year now and decided to remone the decompression lever/cable.I never used it and i'm only #130, does this mean my compression is weak or do the valves need adjustment? the bike runs good and usually starts on about 6 tries when cold.The bike is stock as far as I can tell and has never left me stranded.any suggestions would be appreciated.

I took my decompression lever off of my '98 XR400 in 1998, when it had 100 miles on it. I haven't missed it yet.

JayC

Your question doesn't make sense. Does what mean that your compression is weak? That your weight is 130# or that your compression is 130#?

I very rarely used the manual decomp lever on my XR4 before I put in my Hot Cam. Now I use it all the time. If you've never used it then you wont miss it. However, keep the parts in case you change your mind.

I just figure if a 130# person can start this bike what good is the decomp lever. It kicks over so easy i thought there may have been some issue. Never mind though, I'll just be happy its easy to start and not complain.Thanks anyway.