Sign in to follow this  

86 XL250R to XR250 Cam Swap

Ok I have an 86 XL250r that I just got through rebuilding the top end and I had a little issue with the cam last night and one of the ears on the cam broke. I read on here that someone said that you could change out a XL250 cam with a little hotter XR250 cam so I purchased a new XR250 cam off of ebay. What are the new valve clearance numbers that I need to make sure to have. Thanks for the info.

What are the new valve clearance numbers that I need to make sure to have??.

Hmm..New Valve clearance numbers..I don't imagine theirs any change from what the Tappet gaps were before..

What are the new valve clearance numbers that I need to make sure to have??.

Hmm..New Valve clearance numbers..I don't imagine theirs any change from what the Tappet gaps were before..

So it's ok to just drop the cam in and use the same setup for the new XR cam as the XL cam?

.002 and .003 are normal XR clearances. I doubt the XL would be any tighter.

If its one of those brand new cheapo USA motorcycles ebay cams you'd better measure it up to make sure it is within spec........... I read a story on here somewhere about someone who bought one of those and it was below par from the get-go..........

Yeah it was one of those cams. It seems to be working fine for now. The bike makes better topend power now.