Sign in to follow this  

2008 head , piston , cam on 2006

I tried putting a 2008 head , cam , piston , valves on my 2006 . the valves barely hit the piston . HELP does anyone know why ? thank you

Make sure you are not off by one tooth. I found out this past weekend that you cannot rely on the cam gear to be pressed on correctly either. I put a Crower cam in and discovered that the timing marks are not in the correct place relative to the cam. I held up my old cam by visually aligning the timing marks anc compared the cam lobes to see where they pointed relative to the Crower. Moved the Crower over 1 tooth and everything visually aligned perfectly....buttoned it up and bike fired immediately :ride: whereas when I had the Crowers timing marks aligned where I thought it was suppose to be, bike never started...acted like it wanted to at times but just never fired.:p

Another thing to look for is that the piston mounted on the rod correctly. I have seen the piston backwards with the big valve reliefs facing forward. Sounds dumb, but I did it myself once.

Dave

Another thing to look for is that the piston mounted on the rod correctly. I have seen the piston backwards with the big valve reliefs facing forward. Sounds dumb, but I did it myself once.

Dave

WOW. you were right ! thank you :p

WOW. you were right ! thank you :p

You'll never do that again, trust me!! LOL

Dave