Sign in to follow this  

Kick start for DRZ400s

Easily...

9: I want to add a kick starter to my DRZ S, but the parts guy said it will only fit the DRZ E.. Is that true?

A: The Kick Starter kit fits ALL model DRZ's. new and old, E, K or S or SM.[/b][/u] [/color] There will be some left over parts when installing on the S & SM, as the included manual decompression assembly will not fit the those heads.

CAUTION - http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=600644&page=2&highlight=kickstart

Instructions- http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/gallery/136763/2/4997055#P-1-15

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=724776&highlight=kick+start

4997058_tiXL6-L.jpg

Took a couple hours. Make sure you use both the Adventure Rider online instructions and read the factory kit instructions. you will need both.

I'm going to throw one on mine again.....I miss the kicker from my last DRZ.

My wife and I each have a 400S. We stopped at OTD while vacationing in CO last Summer and had Eddie install a kickstarter on each bike. Took him less than two hours total -- incredible.

My wife and I each have a 400S. We stopped at OTD while vacationing in CO last Summer and had Eddie install a kickstarter on each bike. Took him less than two hours total -- incredible.

Hey Mike...where are you in MN??

Eddie also installed mine....very fast...so why not?

Intalled mine last December, I have an S and like they said extra parts (lever and cable assy for the decomp). Took me 2.5 hours including a trip to the store to buy coolant.

Hey Mike...where are you in MN??

Eddie also installed mine....very fast...so why not?

I'm in the Twin Cities (Eden Prairie). Also have a house in Hickory, NC -- my wife lives/works there (long story). We had the DRZs out a few weeks ago when I was down there for a week. Sure is nice to get out of the cold/snow periodically in the winter and do a little riding -- very therapeutic.

I just finished installing one on my 04 S. If you follow the instructions that come from Suzuki & there is an install here that also has a link to Adventure Rider with a lot of pictures. If you combine all of them as your reference you can't go wrong. I too wanted the kicker for the hopefully rare time you are in a bad situation and need it. Then the $200 will be worth it.

Embrace your magic button and don't sweat this one.

Do the free power mod and maybe Eddie's battery upgrade kit if you feel it necessary.

Howdy All,

I have removed my Smugmug gallery where I documented the installation of the kicker kit on a 2002 DRZ400S. I have done this because I am tired of folks emailing and PMing me telling that I have installed the kit leaving out parts that were needed. I put a lot of work into that gallery, the kit as installed has been working WITHOUT any problems in my bike for the last five years and 6,000 miles, I rode the bike with a battery that was so bad it wouldn't even light up the display for two years kicking the bike to life many times a day and it has never failed to start and there has been NO DAMAGE to the bike.

I tried a couple of times to address the comments others had made both in the gallery itself and by responding to threads such as this one, still people are saying that I did it wrong. I have just recently been PMed by another person who is concerned about possible harm being done to his bike if he follows the instructions that I posted. I assured him that BOTH of the kicker stopper parts were installed its just that one fits behind the other and it can't be seen at the angle that I took the photo at. So to put a stop to this ongoing cyber fiasco I have decided to remove the gallery. Doing this will remove me from being blamed for improper installation or possible damage to the bike. I am sure that following the highly detailed and supposedly correct instructions from Suzuki to properly install the kit will result in a much clearer understanding and easier installation of the kit.

I do want to thank the many folks who have over the years given good comments on the gallery, they are most appreciated. :bonk:

Cinco de Mayo weekend 2012, got the install all good thanks to Mr Cob directions and the other comments that accompanied my customized wriite up compliation. Saved $250 and learned how to install a clutch and set dust seals/bearings at the same time :banghead: Owe it to Cob the man right on! I'll use my new mechanical experience to setup my DRZ for decades to come. I hope a get a chance to likewise return the favor and help somebody else.

I must add that installing the circlip on the thinga ma jig was a bear, not to mention the stripped head on the skid plate removal that I had to deal with. Used another Mr Cob trick with a tiny dremel saw I had. Also laid the bike down (nice tip from someoneo else) on a couple of tires and a boogie board McGyver style, (I'm not kidding) so I could whack my impact driver with full effect. That was just to get the skid plate off he he he. Thanks Cob.

I'm glad I saved Mr Cobbs instructions. Darned shame he felt the need to remove them from the web. C'est la vie.

LOL, your reading and responding to a 2009 post, ,, the article was returned to the web site days after he posted that response.

Directions still there http://mr-cob.smugmu...4997029&k=yDKix

Yeah I know it's an old post, just wanted to say thanks.

Great writeup and pics. I'll probably get the kit this winter. One question. It looks like the water pump comes right off with the cover. Does it engage with something inside? Thanx.

Yes water pump comes right off with the cover, and yes the back part of the clutch basket has a big gear that engages a gear that is installed from the kit and the plastic water pump gear (I think that's what it is) that is not part of the cover and another gear, three of them. That step was a bit difficult to line up. I had to slide the basket off and on several times and turn the kicker gear meachanism to kind of pre line up one gear and then turn the primary nut with a wrench and eventually basket slid right into place surrounded by the three gears.