100 h on my 08. Now what?

In this economy I'm planning to keep my 08 longer than I used to. I have 100h on it, I rarely over rev and keep filters and oil fresh. Never adjusted or even checked valves but my mechanic says the engine sounds like it needs a valve adj. I have a stock piston and a wiseco 13,5:1 (new both on the shelf), should I put one of them on? Which? Should I change adm. valves if they are asking for an adjustment once the engine is open? if they are in spec, should I leave them? If I replace piston and valves will I have a fresh engine for lets say an other 100h?

Thanks a lot!!?

Pull the head off, check the valves very closely, any questions replace them. For sure change the vavle seals and so on. If you wont long life put the stock piston in. I have had very short life with the wiseco. For sure the wisecos make noise but add some snap. You did not say what kind of riding or racing you do. Motox little more is cool. But now at 43 I tend to stay with the stock stuff. No matter what anyone says I have had great luck with hondas valve train. Hope this adds clairity.

Flyn Ryan

OH by the way all the mags says in the 08 honda was in the shootout it would win. That says something. That is why I ride one!

What he said, and..

I had to replace my intake valves at 65 hours, I put a set of aftermarket stainless valves back in. I wanted more life than what I'd had with the stockers. If I were in your shoes, I'd put the stock piston in and if nothing else replace the valves with new ones. Wether you go OEM or aftermarket is up to you.

As my signature says, I've got 135 hours on my '05 and it's still going strong. I'm in the same boat and don't want to spend $$ on a new one.

at 100 hours i always replace the piston and rings with a stock piston, new valve train on the intakeside only, ( i have never replaced an exhaust valve on any of my hondas), new timing chain and a timing chain tensioner.

so far this has worked out great for me, my old 06 that a buddy now has is over 180 hours now!

I don't know about "Hearing" that it is time for new valves... ?

Sure, change the piston and rings, get the cylinder honed at the same time. However, if your valves are still in spec, leave them be. Check them frequently to ensure they aren't starting to move on you. As soon as they start to move, replace them.

You can get a lot more hours out of your valve train. There are plenty of guys who have got twice as much hours as you before their first valve change. The key is keeping an eye on them.

Ultimately, it is your bike, your wallet. Do what you feel is best for your peace of mind.

ben

Dont worry about that 100 hrs. I had an 04 crf250 for 4 years and it spent alot of time on rev limiter and I figured I had over 400 hours. My friend had an 05 with about the same as me.if you do maintainence it will last you quite a while. If valves are in spec leave it alone but put in a new piston.

In this economy I'm planning to keep my 08 longer than I used to. I have 100h on it, I rarely over rev and keep filters and oil fresh. Never adjusted or even checked valves but my mechanic says the engine sounds like it needs a valve adj. I have a stock piston and a wiseco 13,5:1 (new both on the shelf), should I put one of them on? Which? Should I change adm. valves if they are asking for an adjustment once the engine is open? if they are in spec, should I leave them? If I replace piston and valves will I have a fresh engine for lets say an other 100h?

Thanks a lot!!?

Are you running an hourmeter?

If you are going to the trouble of taking the head off you should at least pull the valves out and look at them! I doubt you will like the way the intakes look. Really, for a race bike a 100 hours is really good for having done nothing to it. The longer you run the stock piston and valves the closer you get to spending a whole lot more than just maintenance costs. If you pull the head, minimum should be= look at valves, deglaze cylinder, change out piston/rings,timing chain and gaskets. When it goes back together make sure you ck valve clearance again! Good luck.

thanks very much for your help!!

So I should be doing a complete top end rebuild, right? .....I'm going to ask for prices and look at the numbers....

If I find a buyer and add the cost of the parts and labor I might get close to the cost of a brand new 08 (I get bikes tax free , which is 16% off)

Would be putting like 50 h more on the bike (no rebuild) asking for trouble?

BTW I do not use an hour meter but I write down all the race / practice days, the number and lenght of motos, general impressions, best laptimes, changes in suspension.....so I might have more hours on since I don't count warming up the bike

Thanks again all of you!!

yea im in the same boat as well, just came here to post this actually, thanks for the mind-reading ? between 85-95 hours or so on the 08 450R, time to do the deed.

thanks for the tips mentioned above people, much appreciated.

BTW I do not use an hour meter but I write down all the race / practice days, the number and lenght of motos, general impressions, best laptimes, changes in suspension.....so I might have more hours on since I don't count warming up the bike

If you ever end up getting an hourmeter, I think you will be surprised.

I tell people it is like the FRAM commercial. You can spend a little now or alot later. Stock honda valves are cheap compaired to if one of them breaks and takes out your cyclinds, head, cam and crank. Price all those parts and then decide if it is work the extra $200 or so for a set of stock honda valves and springs.

This is somewhat true, but haven't you seen guys with this kind of damage with not even half the hours. Based on this statement, you should be changing stuff at the Honda suggested intervals.

If your valves are still in spec, leave them a lone, unless you just feel like spending some money. Timing chain, might be worth it because it is cheap and you already have everything apart. Otherwise, leave the valves a lone unless you have some issue related to them that needs to be fixed.

And, you need an hour meter to really know how many hours you have. My 08 has 70 hours now, and I ride it every weekend. No guessing with the hour meter. You can ride all day at the track, and find out that your actual ride time adds up to a fraction of the time you spent there.

ben

Dude,

I have an 06 with three years of MX on it. I change the oil after every four to five rides, clean the filter after every ride and have never even cracked the valve cover. Starts every time on the first or secound kick and runs great. Every CRF I have seen go south because of valves starts showing signs of not starting. I've seen pistons come out with way more hours than mine with VERY little wear. Mine runs fine and does not use oil. I may check the valves to be sure they are in spec but these motors are TUFF man.

I used to rebuild my 250 2 stroke at least 3 times a season and still smoked cylinders.