Sign in to follow this  

Who still rides a 02 450R ?

I decided to hold off on a new bike due to the credit crunch and bought a 02 450r thats just had a full engine rebuild.

Want to know the good and the bad about this model an anything I should look out for.

Until next season its a budget battler for me

:p

I still ride my 2003 model and they were almost the same bike. You will notice the front end pushes and does not want to bite, I fixed that with 20mm offset triple clamps and installed a Rekluse clutch for woods....120+ engine hours later she's still a great bike.

Change air filter after each ride.

Change the oil after every other ride...and repeat !

I just bought a 2002 two weeks ago. Bought it from the original owner who replaced the valves for the first time a few months before selling it. I have read about the turning issues but, in the short time I have rode it I already like the handling better than my 2003 WR450. I ride strictly woods and am not a very aggressive rider though, just an old fart that likes big bore thumpers.

I ride and 03' i bought new in july 03'. all set up for the woods with the goodies minus a stabilizer. FC suspension set up with classic NE woods in mind, flywheel weight , all guards , skid plate. Also does anyone have a slip on quiet muffler for an 03? I ahve full CHM pipe w/sa screen and quiet core insert , but still load. Any help would be good. Also can't I put on 04' plastic too.

I have had my 02 crf450 for about 4 years, second owner. Great bike, no real problems with the steering that I can tell. Been through a couple valve jobs. Last valve overhaul was with mx time and now I have no more valve problems. It is also a green sticker bike in California so I can ride it year round.

have an 02 love the damn thing.. had and still has turning issues after putting a 20mm offset clamps on it.. have to look into the valving and springs next.. motor was rebuilt 10-15 hrs ago with a pro-x piston and SS valves.. white brothers exhaust system, fluidyne oversized radiators, hinson clutch, asv levers, sprocket amd chain.. been a great bike.. valves still havent moved..

Thanks for the feedback, what issues is there with the steering geometry?

Is this expensive to recitify and does it need to be done for dune/desert riding?

Is the 02 factory exhaust restricting compared to the newer bikes?

if so can I strip out the insides to improve flow or will this just make it louder?

I've got an '02 I bought 2 years ago, and I love it. I'm just replacing the piston, cam chain, and cam chain tensioner now (first time for this bike ever). The valves are almost due, as I just shimmed the intakes with a 135 left and 145 right.

I did modify my exhaust by shortening it by about 6 inches. I put a Pro Moto Billet end cap and spark arrestor on it, and repacked the muffler. Without the spark arrestor, shortening it definitely opened it up some. But yes, it did get a bit louder. It's quite a bit louder than my sons '05 450.

I still ride my 02.

She's been a great ride. I fixed the front end problem with aftermarket linkage from Storm.

The 02 is a good bike. Yes it had a push in the front end , i try the storm link , but i didn`t like all that much , it did help. But once i had the suspension revalved i got the link off , and like how it turns now. Over all i think its still a very good bike.http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r462/thomas1-1/06geelsanddentoncreek002.jpg A Q fmf muffler , fly 13 oz. 756 front , 733 rear, just put in ss valves , handguards , what more do you need.

I think the 03' had a different rear linkage that raised the front end for better steering. That should be a drop in for the 02' models. You should be able to find one on ebay for cheap.

Squid it didn`t raise the front ??? It raised the back up th put more weight on the front tire for better bite.

I decided to hold off on a new bike due to the credit crunch and bought a 02 450r thats just had a full engine rebuild.

Want to know the good and the bad about this model an anything I should look out for.

Until next season its a budget battler for me

:)

Snake, I still have my '02 and I Love it! I put a Storm Link on it ($160) and raised my forks up in the clamps and it turns just fine. I just did a valve job last year, had some head work done and changed the piston while i was at it (still looked good, but figured while I was in there). Keep the filter clean and change the oil regularly and you should be good. I run the Twin Air filter with the back fire material molded inside (I removed the stock back fire screen)and have used Amsoil 10w-40 in both sides since new. I did have to seal the Air box with an MX Bonz kit but that was about the only "issue" other than the steering that "had" to be done. I still run the stock header and pipe and really only made changes that I wanted too, not because they were needed....Pro-Action suspension, Magura clutch, excel rims w/talon hubs, etc.

Have a blast and enjoy the bike!

I to ride a 02' 450. This bike is a animal in the woods. I'm kind of a big boy at 6'4" 210 lbs and it scares me with the power. The front tire push was resloved by putting the Storm link on and raising the front shocks in the tree.

Heres the goodies I have on the bike:Yeah, I do still have the bike for sale. Here is a list of what else is on the bike:

U.F.O. Front, Rear, Side panels,and fork slides

Baja designs lighting kit

Pro Taper Fatty bars

N-Style Graphics

Devol Radiator Guards

Moose Skid plate

Whites Brothers Cam

Whites Brothers full exhaust

Barrnett clutch plates and basket

IMS extra wide foot pegs

Renthal chain and sprokets

Scotts Wave Rotor

Scotts rear disc guard

Hour meter

Complete rebuild of motor last season

Have all parts and receipts

18" Execel rear rim

Storm pro link

Moose fly wheel weight

Bark busters with Cycra hand guards

Cool fins rear master cylinder

It was registered in CT and is street legal

still race my 02 love it complete engine rebuild just as maintence

wiscoe high comp piston

all new bearings seals have the front end lowered quite a bit to get rid of push and it helps alot

love it

but im buying a new bike and keeping this one has a fun toy to play around with

mybike-1.jpg?t=1237951441

Man at first glance I thought I was seeing something that has an orange badge there for a minute :thumbsup:

Looks like you put some time and money into your machine :usa:

Nice

just got my first thumper this past sunday. Picked up my 02 from a buddy that has super low hours on the motor i guess. Whitebros slipon and powerfilter, tag tripples and bars, wc skidplate. man I love this thing, waaayyy more power than my little quick cr125.

Whats the front sprocket size on these anyhow? I know the back is 48 just by looking at it.

Generally factory 13 front. I ride desert so changed mine to 15/48 to keep up with the X's :thumbsup: no where near as snappy but nothing a quick toe tap wont fix :usa: