Sign in to follow this  

head gasket problem

i have an 06 yz134 and i am pretty sure i have a slight leak in the head gasket because after a few min of riding anti freeze starts running out of the overflow but the motor isnt hot or anything... i have alredy ordered a topend gasket set but my question is would it hurt anything to ride the bike a little before i get the parts?

if the gasket set doesnt work, you may have a warped head.... im not sure about riding it, personally i wouldnt but thats just me

the head shouldnt be warped i just had it cleaned up and machined for the 134 piston 2 months ago and havent put alot of hours on it since .... ill try the gaskets again and if it happens again ill look into it more

That happened to me on my RM 250. I took it off and retorqued it. However my bike uses o-rings not gaskets.

a lot of people neglect to check and make sure the cylinder deck is flat and the sleeve is protruding properly as well

Your head may not be warped, but where the gasket leaks you will get some corrosion/erosion of the sealing surfaces. You should at the very least pull the head and cylinder and run them over some 400 grit paper taped to a thick piece of glass (use a figure 8 motion and hold the part flat). You will be surprised at how "wavy" the surface is. A better solution would of course be to take them to a shop and have them "kissed".

As for the original question, I would not ride with a leaking head gasket. You really won't know when you run the cooling system dry, and the more it leaks, the more if will foul the mating surfaces.

ok thanks guys im gona pull it apart and check things out when i get the parts... its not leaking alot so i think it should be ok but ill try the sand papper thing any way