08 XR650L Stage One Complete - Some Details

Greetings - I've recently finished my first stage of modifications for riding my 'L' mostly in woods. Here's how it's looking so far:

DSC00547.jpg

During the install of the Clarke 4.0 tank (graphics on their way) I secured the 'tie rod' included with the tank in this manner:

DSC00543.jpg

I'm sure it's been done this way a lot but I thought I'd share anyway. The tank is rock solid by clamping the rod this way.

Now, for the skid plate mount. This plate fit's perfectly over the stock skid pipe which seems reasonable to keep. It appears that the pipe might add some rigidity to the down tube and lower frame. Plus it also appears to provide a frame for the new skid plate - a secondary source of protection against big rock damage:

DSC00544.jpg

I've not seen XR650L skid plates installed in this manner so I'm open to criticism on the subject.

My next project is bore, compression, cam, head work. Does anyone know of a good machine shop in Western Washington, Kitsap Peninsula that could match a bore and mate a new piston?

Thanks,

Keith

Now, for the skid plate mount. This plate fit's perfectly over the stock skid pipe which seems reasonable to keep. It appears that the pipe might add some rigidity to the down tube and lower frame. Plus it also appears to provide a frame for the new skid plate - a secondary source of protection against big rock damage:

DSC00544.jpg

I've not seen XR650L skid plates installed in this manner so I'm open to criticism on the subject.

Thanks,

Keith

I ran my skid plate the exact same way for a season. I was a PITA getting the mounting clamps on it that way. :ride:

I decided to remove the stock crash bar the next season and just run the skid plate by itself, because I converted my bike to Sumo and didn't think I'd need the extra protection if I wasn't in the rocks/logs as much. It was ahelluva lot easier getting the skid plate mounted without the stock crash bars there, let me tell ya. :p:moon:

You can always send the head and cylinder to XR's only and have them add the stainless valves and Ti- valve springs with a 3 angle valve job. Send the intake and have Freddy port and match the head. Pick up a new Keihin pumper from them, and maybe some big fin heads welded on as well.

Add a header and exhaust and that baby will rock!!! Good luck with the build!

Awesome looking bike KMorris. Going with a similar setup myself :p

What brand is your skidplate and also where are you getting your graphics for the clarke (ordered the same tank :ride: ) Can't seem to find anything I like so far.

Many thanks and enjoy the :moon:

Looks like a standard Moose skidplate. My skid plate (same one) really likes to fill up with mud out in the woods. The stock guard may make it a bit tougher to get in there and wipe it back to clean but that's about it. The bike looks great so far. Maybe too clean?

You can always send the head and cylinder to XR's only and have them add the stainless valves and Ti- valve springs with a 3 angle valve job. Send the intake and have Freddy port and match the head. Pick up a new Keihin pumper from them, and maybe some big fin heads welded on as well.

Add a header and exhaust and that baby will rock!!! Good luck with the build!

Thanks Kindly for the heads up! Pun intended!

:p

Awesome looking bike KMorris. Going with a similar setup myself :p

What brand is your skid plate and also where are you getting your graphics for the Clarke (ordered the same tank :ride: ) Can't seem to find anything I like so far.

Many thanks and enjoy the :moon:

Howdy iXR - I believe the skid plate came with a sticker labeled 'Ricochet', purchased from HappyTrails.com. The Moose unit seems like the same one.

I purchased the graphics from Dennis Kirk. FactoryEffect - XR650L tank graphics. They came today and will be applied tomorrow.

Thanks for the complement.

Keith

Howdy iXR - I believe the skid plate came with a sticker labeled 'Ricochet', purchased from HappyTrails.com. The Moose unit seems like the same one.

I purchased the graphics from Dennis Kirk. FactoryEffect - XR650L tank graphics. They came today and will be applied tomorrow.

Thanks for the complement.

Keith

Don't mention it. Its exactly like how I envisioned mine!! :p

The moose skid plate is different, doesnt have the round holes. I had been looking for one like yours for some time now... I consider that its best if the holes are there so it drains the mud much faster!!! :ride:

Please post the pics when you have the graphics on.

Thanks and enjoy the :moon:

iXR - here are the installed graphics. I used a heat gun to get the edge bubbles out. Then I warmed up the graphic and rubbed gently to set the adhesive.

DSC00556.jpg

DSC00557.jpg

Keith

Thanks for the post :banghead:

It just keeps on getting better and better! :) Now all u need is the exhaust :banghead:

Thanks for the post :confused:

It just keeps on getting better and better! :thumbsup: Now all u need is the exhaust :excuseme:

Just an update. I installed a FMF Powerbomb header and FMF Q4 exhaust. While I was at it I also installed the Edlebrock XR650L carburetor. The bike fired right up the first shot with the 'factory' settings for this bike.

It took a good 4 hours to complete the pipe and carb (I'm into details) modification.

I took her for a ride and WOW: a different bike. With my already low gearing 14/48 the bike responds very nicely to the pipe but most importantly the 'shot' of gas from the pump seals the deal.

I was thinking I may need to bump the compression to get the feel I wanted but after the initial ride I believe this last mod Got 'er Done!

Keith

I like the skid plate install. :thumbsup: I plan on doing the same. Nice looking bike...

Lookin good man i like the way the yellow wing on the tank really sets off the corvette..:thumbsup:

Just a finish up photo of my project. Installation of FMF Powerbomb and FMF Q4 exhaust plus Edlebrock Carburetor.

Keith

DSC00602.jpg

Cobalt650 - the rear is a Dunlap Rally Raid - Huge tire just fits. The front is stock. I recently replaced both with Dunlap 606's and find the 606 rear grips better in our Pacific Northwest terrain.

After a few rides I can see the mod's I've made have completely changed the bike. Very capable on the dirt and surprising on the road. With my 14/48 gearing I can travel at 65 (between trails) comfortably.

Keith

Quilcene, WA

Keith

What tank did you install? Bike looks really good. Going down the same path with my XL!

Have the Q4 exhaust & FMF jetting kit, but not the power bomb

On 7/6/2018 at 9:24 AM, Graham J said:

What tank did you install? Bike looks really good. Going down the same path with my XL!

Have the Q4 exhaust & FMF jetting kit, but not the power bomb

It says right in the first post that it's a Clarke 4.0, which is what I would have guessed based on how it looks.

You're probably not going to get a response from most of these people that posted in this particular thread nine years ago.

• Like 1