Sign in to follow this  

Electric start for 2003 CRF150f

I've searched all over and can only find anecdotal information.

I want to add electric start to my 2003 CRF150f. Yes I know it would be cheaper and easier to just trade up to a newer bike but this bike was legally plated in California before the law was changed. Bikes newer than 2004 might be plated but not legally (except for special construction).

My girlfriend is a novice, short, aggressive rider who falls a lot. If we just rode dirt roads, this would not be an issue but she can be geometrically challenged trying to kick start on the side of a mountain or in a creek.

I have compared all the 230f drawings with the 150f and came up with about $650 worth of parts. Surprisingly, the expensive ones are not the starter or crankcase but the starter gears ($200) and the electrical relays/solenoids ($140). It looks doable except for the transmission. They are very different and I am clueless about transmissions.

What needs to be done to the transmission?

Would I be better off swapping the complete engine and were would I get said engine?

Thanks

Dan

Check ebay for a new motor. Try to sell your old one too.

Which new motor?

An 06 or newer 150f? Will a newer 150f motor fit? The electric start 150f is a very different motor than the kick start 150f and I think they changed the frame for it?

An 03 230f? Will it be much heavier than the 150f? Will I need to change the CDI? Will I have to change the carb also?

All I could find on e-bay was a starter at the same price as a brand new one:excuseme:

someone just parted out a 230 a few days ago.

but yeah, like others said.

itd be alot easier to buy a 230 motor and put that in.

Animal Dan,

Actually, what you have been contemplating is completely doable. I too wanted to do the same thing to a 03 CRF150 for my wife. If you aquire all of the necessary CRF230 parts, they will all bolt on and you will have both e-start and kick start capability. Go for it if you have the funds. If you can find used 230 parts it might save you a bundle though.

Animal Dan,

Actually, what you have been contemplating is completely doable. I too wanted to do the same thing to a 03 CRF150 for my wife. If you aquire all of the necessary CRF230 parts, they will all bolt on and you will have both e-start and kick start capability. Go for it if you have the funds. If you can find used 230 parts it might save you a bundle though.

Thanks for the reply.

Did you end up doing the mod?

Did you swap transmissions or were you able to modify the 150 transmission to mate up with the starter gear?

Thanks

Dan

AnimalDan,

All of the e-start components are external and drive the crankshaft via a sprag clutch behind the flywheel. There is nothing tied into the transmission.

AnimalDan,

All of the e-start components are external and drive the crankshaft via a sprag clutch behind the flywheel. There is nothing tied into the transmission.

When I look at the crankshaft schematic for the 230 and 150, they look the same. So are the parts you're refering to included in this drawing (starter)?

Thanks for the help.

CRF230StarterS.gif

I have a 230 Bottom end. Im going to keep the flywheel for weight reduction experiments.

I was planning on keeping the starter motor as a spare. I have already sold the wiring harness and starter solenoid.

PM me

vmeadows

Thanks for the offer but I'm pretty sure I don't need to swap the bottom end. I've answered part of my previous question in that it looks like all I need to do is add the generator clutch on the back of the flywheel (like coeshow said) to "attach" the starter to the crankshaft.

Dan

I haven't given up on this. I know it will cost $500-$600 but it will be worth it (see first post) if I can keep it to that.

So I'm look at;

Starter and gears

Battery, battery box, battery box cover

wire harness, various electrical (this will be the easier part for me, also already have an upgraded stator and regulator)

Left side crankcase cover

And my biggest concern, the crankshaft clutch behind the flywheel. Part number 1 below. I also noted when comparing part numbers between the 230 and the 150 that some of the part numbers were the same except for the last digit. The shop mechanic told me that meant they were the same part, the last digit is just to keep track of the year? Does that sound right?

CRF230GenS.gif

The code for Honda part numbers is:

The first group of numbers is the basic part number, you will see the same basic number accross many models. Crank is cranks, axle is axles, stator is staor, left case is left case, etc.

The middle three characters denote the model that this part was first used on. Honda likes to reuse parts so the model code for a part may not match the model code for your bike. About the only part you can be sure has the correct model code is the part number for the frame, but don't bet on it.

The last three digits indicates changes to the part, you often see changes in this number thru the years and often you will see "replaces part xxx" which means an updated part that can be used instead of the old part. Otherwise the new part number may not be compatable with prior year parts.

Hope this helps.

AnimalDan,

You will need all of those parts plus the 230 left sidecase/s to accomodate the starter and drive gears. vmeadows might sell you the side case from his spare engine and save you a few bucks. Good used parts typically sell for 1/2 of new. That covers most of the mechanical parts. You will still need all of the electrical/wiring and battery box pieces to complete the addition. Like you, I feel it will be a worthy investment if you plan on keeping the bike. Kick start and e-start. What could be better?